Existing Member?

India Experiences

Delhi again

INDIA | Tuesday, 9 November 2010 | Views [1366]

The train trip from Amritsar was very pleasant and only 8 and half hours, with lovely families around me. Of course as always, everyone wants to know - Your Country Madam? Which City? You have Children? What is Your Name? Where is your Husband? How Long Have You Been in India? How Are You Liking India? Where Have You Been? Where Are You Going?  I always now have a book in my hand and once the questions are answered, and acknowledged with the little head nod and smiles, I make sure I read very intensely, as it can all get quite exhausting, but they are so lovely I can't be rude and not answer.

Its such a relief to be back on a train instead of the buses. At least there is a toilet, chaiwallahs and food constantly, plus if you are game, a chance to get out and stretch your legs, keeping an eye on that train! They move off quite quickly and silently with no announcements, so its usual to see people suddenly realise and make a run for it.

The lovely pastoral scenery can be enjoyed - harvesting still happening, and all the soft colours of gold, brown green in varying shades, and many people out in the fields harvesting and making the haystacks.

We arrrived at New Delhi station and I decided to get a cycle rickshaw to my Hotel Rak in Pahaganj. We were going along Main Bazaar and suddenly I realised - no overhead wires, the road sidepaths and new shops completed - wow, it really looked great. They have done so much since I was here 6 weeks ago around 22nd Sept. Its now the 2nd November, and I'm really enjoying being back here. Hotel is great also, just off the Main Bazaar, not too far from Cottage Yes Please (which was fully booked this time) and half the price, a real find.

Of course the peace and quiet (well...) doesn't last past sunset, because its Diwali and explosion (I mean Fireworks) time. The rockets go up, mostly, crackers go off, for around 4-5 hours each night and when I say explosion, the number of decibels is now a subject of government enquiry thank goodness. I read that they have closed down some fireworks companies because they far exceeded the permissible noise limit (yes, it seems they do have one) and there will be legislation coming ahead of next year to try and control it. It really is like I imagine being in a war zone would be.

Spent an afternoon at the amazing Hindu Akshardan Temple, a few kilometres out of Delhi. I asked the guy at the hotel what would be the best way to get there, and he said the Metro, of course. I then discovered it was only 5 min walk down the street - after not knowing it was there every time I have been in Pahaganj! He said he would take me there, I didn't realise he meant on his motorbike, and I was there in a flash. The Metro system is very easy to negotiate, and I was at Akshardam stop after only 15 mins.

The temple is a massive soft sandstone-coloured construction, (I couldn't see where LPlanet got their description of "Pink") with surrounds that are so beautiful - waterways, gardens, adjoining little temple-like buildings. It was only built around 10 years ago but is so beautifully carved and ornate in every sense of the word, as the Hindu artisans are such experts at. The deities are not only carved but there are also huge paintings that give such colour. All around the exterior are carved elephants, large and small, with stories about them and what they mean to us. I would love to know (hopefully its on the website) when it was actually started and completed, there is just so much work, and it is so huge. Although its not built on a high hill it can be seen from quite a distance.

I was able to get the Metro to New Delhi Station, after changing at Chandichowk, so now after spending an hour and a half at the Government Rail Booking Office, I have my tickets to Jalgaon, the nearest place to Ajanta, and from Aurangabad to Hyderbad. I really enjoyed my couple of days here, the only thing I didn't do was to see how Connaught Place had scrubbed up -it was looking a bit of a mess when I saw it last, and I read that they had just had to cover up again some of the footpath areas they had planned to replace. But I am sure it all looked great.

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.