Existing Member?

India Experiences

MacLeod-Ganj

INDIA | Thursday, 13 November 2008 | Views [684]

So, still in Dharamsala/Macleod Ganj, have been here for 4 days now. Marlieke has just left on the 7pm bus to Delhi - I may or may not see her again, but possibly in the south later on. We have had a really good time, just relaxing - she wanted to get gifts for her family, so thats what we were doing mainly, shopping and bargaining, interspersed with walking, coffee, food, more walking! The bazaar shops are in several streets, and all the way down to the Dalai Lama's Temple. We initially had a problem with the number of beggars here, more than anywhere else I have been, all through the main bazaar and streets, just so constant, but we started to laugh at the "namaste, madam, madam, baby (point, point)chappati" one lady asked us to buy chips for her baby, but we drew the line there! I think that they are probably well looked after by the Tibetan social workers - there is a very strong community network here, quite impressed with it. Visitors are asked to volunteer even a few hours while passing through, so will probably do that.

Yesterday we went by autorickshaw up to Dal Lake, a sacred lake further up the mountain, but were very disappointed, it was a bit of a non-event- not very big and a greeny-brown colour surrounded by cedars, but we had been warned by other travelers. However, it was nice to see some different scenery. Today however, was a different story - we walked the very steep long walk up to Dharamkot, about 2 kms, took a good half hour amongst the trees and lots of monkeys, and included a stop for delicious Marsala Chai (sweet spice tea) almost at the top. This is the place that Sarah McDonald (author of Holy Cow) went to do her 10 day Vipassana, silent meditation. It was really interesting to be able to see the place, it is set amongst the cedar trees, and looks quite nice. We then walked the mountain track down to Bangsu village, encountering donkeys carrying the bags of cement required for the building works we passed on our way down. Parts of the track were very steep and we were walking amongst boulders and trees, passing the locals carrying all manner of things on their backs. Probably took more photos there than anywhere else. Stopped for a lassi at Bangsu and on our last part of the walk back to Macleod, met a girl from Sydney that I had seen in Delhi - she said she lives here with her Indian boyfriend for the past 2 years.

Went back to our place, got Marleike's stuff had tea and brownies, she did last minute shopping then we had early dinner at an Italian/Indian restaurant before I walked her to the bus and said goodbye. The weather here has been all sunny blue skies, and warm in day but cold at night. I will stay another 3-4 days, I have to book that far ahead for wherever I am going next, which I will decide tomorrow (or the next day!) au revoir

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.