Existing Member?

Know better, do better.

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - Taste of Candy, Taste of Life

INDONESIA | Saturday, 30 March 2013 | Views [327] | Scholarship Entry

I saw her sitting by herself on a bench that twilight. In front of the red yellowish sunset at the airport, colouring my sadness for leaving the glorious holiday behind, back to reality. It was already late for lunch and too soon for dinner, so I bought many Roti'O, my favorite sweet and soft bun with a peculiar coffee redolence. Waited alone for a return flight after a holiday in a city filled with people i love in a solitary airport is just so gloom. Came back from Roti'O stand and sat beside her, the only available seat left on that big and long waiting room. I saw her opened her iPad and started surfing the web and read tons of unusual characters. I realized, it's kanji, she is Japanese! I greeted her and saw spark in her eyes like mine, spark of happiness knowing that we were not "alone" at that place. I offered her my favourite bun and We started talking with 3 languages, 4 actually, English, Indonesian, Japanese and facial expression. "itadakimasu" I said as I ate my bun, she laughed and followed. "Oishii" she said, as she tasted it. We talked about many things, she is a Bali dancer, she has been dancing for almost ten years. She showed me her photo as Bali Dancer when she was going to perform in Japan. It's time to part, she gave me a pack of sweets with grape picture and word "Pure" with kanji embellish it. "Candy" she said, and i replied with Japanese for thank you. I took one, the candy was so beautiful, it was heart soft and shinny purple jelly shape emblazon with white sparkling sugar dust, so tempting to put it on your mouth. I put it, shocked with the most ultimate sour flavor ever exist! Even I couldn't believe a sweet looking candy can makes your eyes wider and felt oxygen run rashly to your brain like a shock of high voltage. But after a few chews, you get the sweet, springy, grape flavor candy which is totally addictive! It feels like life, the sad and horrible things that would makes you stop and defeated. But as long as you keep going, you'll get that beautiful thing which makes you want it more. Lucky, i didn't stop chew it. Arigato Atsuko san, i was in Soekarno-Hatta, but felt like I was in Narita.

About mariabina07


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.