Existing Member?

Bob & Margot's travels Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia

May Lake hike

USA | Thursday, 26 August 2010 | Views [401]

It may appear that we are going backwards.... but coincidentally we visited May Lake by foot up in the high Sierra country off Tioga Road the week after we'd visited friends at their cabin outside the Eastern boundary of the park.

We drove a couple of miles of the Tioga Road, then hiked steadily uphill until we came across a pristine clear mountain lake. Bob then headed off to higher ground and climbed another 1,000feet or so to Mount Hoffman @ 10,850 feet.  Mt Hoffamn is estimated to be almost at the center of the park.

May Lake sits at 9,329feet, a 2 and a half mile round trip walk (3.9km) There is 1 of about 6 high Sierra camps. Tent cabins are constructed like a small village and hikers can complete a week long circuit enjoying the comfort of home, they get to sleep on a proper bed with mattress, sheets and blanket, plus to be served restaurant meals... at a price of course. May lake is therefore a natural water reservoir, so swimming and boating is prohibited... so what did I witness? I walked along the trail and looked down into the pristine waters, only to see a few BAD people frolicing there... thinking they were hidden from view by a large rock! I was secretly jealous as it did look sooooooo inviting.


Anyway, Bob made the 1,521 foot ascent of Mount Hoffman in record time. Feeling very proud of his speed and agility he bounced back down to greet me. He then had to walk slowly, the return route 485feet to the parking lot, as he had to hold my hand to prevent me from falling.

The next day.... well I won't go there, but someone was not a happy chappy who took a little time to climb out of bed. Some times it is hard to believe that we are NO longer 20 or even 30 years of age.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.