Existing Member?

Bob & Margot's travels Thailand, Vietnam & Cambodia

Vancouver, Canada

CANADA | Thursday, 26 August 2010 | Views [352]

For some reason I seem to have missed telling of my adventures in Vancouver.  This was a trip I had not entirely planned, but since we found out about the opportunity to work for the US National Park Service just prior to flying out of NZ, the paper work required was somewhat comprehensive.  I found the US consulate extraordinarily difficult to deal with as I eluded to previously... hours spend on the computer at Bob's sisters place continued to some extent in Vancouver.  I did eventually get to have a positive phone conversation with a British woman, based in Ottawa I believe,... Finally someone who was prepared to listen and inform, acknowledging my individual situation.  She understood the issue of being a dual citizen and finally I got some sensible and helpful advice.... C$65.00's later.  In the end all I required was the offer of Voluntary employment for the NPS and to complete a document at the airport and my Canadian passport was successfully stamped.

Spending 16 days in Vancouver was in no way doom and gloom.  I stayed with Brenda my friend of many years.  As a result of Vanc hosting the Winter Olympics a few months prior the public transport is superb.  I became expert at finding my way from all corners to & from the centre of this gorgeous city.  Reconnecting with friends is always a wonderful experience and times passed seem insignificant in spite of all the events which have occurred.  I am grateful to have met up with most people from my days there many years ago, on previous visits, so seeing Mary-Lou was a bonus.  I'm afraid to count the years /decades which have passed by since we last spent an evening over a glass of wine and shared life experiences... kids, family, work etc.

Also of course there was time for jazz festivals, community craft fairs, China town, Gastown, a beer at the Jericho Boat Club with Kim, a trip to the North Vancouver, Lonsdale Market, walks on the dike, High tea in a Chinese restaurant and more.

I was rather sad to again farewell the Pacific North-West, Brenda had come up with all kinds of ideas of how I could get an OT Job and stay on... that did sound inviting especially the thought of joining her in Mexico....However, now that I had the ticket to another new adventure with Bob I was keen to make a start.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.