Existing Member?

France 2011

The 2012 Journey Draws to a Close

FRANCE | Monday, 3 September 2012 | Views [950]

Monday 3rd September 2012

We wake at 7, have our usual orange and head for Charroux. We will breakfast along the way.

Soon we are on motorways  and there is no appropriate place to stop so breakfast becomes brorning tea at about 11. Because we are on motorways, our avowed last choice, there is not much to see. Our time is spent dashing down hills getting enough momentum to get up the hill on the other side. The van is great with stamina but not the best with bursts of speed. We timed 0 to 100 as just under 2 minutes. Not what a Ferrari driver would get excited about. Admittedly this may have been starting on a hill.

Our trip shows us as passing near Paris. We don’t really know how near we are to Paris  but we now know what Paris traffic jams are like. We  spend about an hour in walking speed traffic. Occasionally there is a flurry of activity as an emergency vehicle negotiates the mess. We marvel firstly at why an emergency vehicle would enter a solidly blocked motorway then , observing the journey, how people manage to clear a path for the vehicle. The first is an ambulance which performs well. Mind you, how anyone can drive while blocking their ears against the deafening siren still remains a mystery. Next emergency vehicle is a police van with a police motorbike escort. They get through the mess by having the motorcyclists intimidate the drivers in the vehicle’s path. As a motorcyclist  passes a car in its way, the rider indicates with a gloved hand that the car should move out of the way. How this should be achieved is not indicated, but it is effective as the car somehow moves sideways and the police vehicle passes. Maybe the police get kickbacks from the panel beating industry.

Another interesting phenomenon is the number of motorbikes which use the motorway and the extra lane which is provided for them by common agreement. Lane splitting in Victoria is illegal although often practised, however here it is a normal part of the system. If a vehicle is not close enough to the barrier to allow the cyclists a free path, there is tooting and waving by the cyclist. Admittedly there is also the odd ‘thank you’ toot when a motorist moves further over. Bikes career down this unofficial laneway at great speed, most with hazard flashers on. Given the progress of the cyclists compared with the cars, it is easy to see why motorbikes are popular. Unfortunately the actions of cyclists when traffic is moving very slowly is sometimes mimicked on the motorways at 130 kph in the same whigh speeday. We saw one cyclist who was aggrieved kick at a car hoping to break the car mirror while travelling over 100 kph.  Surely not a wise thing to do. 

Eventually, as we start heading away from Paris, the traffic on the  motorway starts moving reasonably and soon we are back on track moving at an acceptable speed.

Our day is spent  whittling down the kilometres to Charroux. Our trip from the Kloster was shown as taking 13 hours but has taken 22 hours over 2 days. This includes breaks and the odd snooze as driving the van is quite tiring whether it be on motorways or narrow back roads.

Finally we arrive at Charroux at 7.15. We intend staying at the Charroux Aire tonight so as not to disturb Mavis’s family who are at their home and in the gite. We can then dump the waste tanks before going up to Mavis’s house to prepare the van for winter.

.Tuesday 4th September 2012

We are ready to leave the aire by 10 having dumped, cleaned and chlorinated our sewerage waste tank. The grey water tank we empty and any more generated can go on the garden.

Firstly we drive to John and Carol’s house to bid them farewell for this year. Unfortunately John is occupied with anther airport pickup tomorrow so cannot ferry us to Poitiers so we will say our farewells today. As they are not there, we leave a note and go up to Mavis and Terry’s house.

Mavis’s daughter and son in law, Helen and Richard, and Richard’s parents, Carol and Peter, are at the house and Richard  has kindly offered to drive us to Poitiers tomorrow. We meet them at the house and find them to be as friendly and helpful as Mavis and Terry. Helen and Richard’s 3 year old daughter, Elizabeth or Lizzy, is also there, keeping everyone in order.

They are all about to leave to visit a monkey park. After greetings and offers to help with anything we need, they leave, expecting to return late afternoon. They kindly ask us to have dinner with them but we decline as we have things we need to consume from the van. We have already exceeded our food throw out quota for this holiday by not adequately removing all butter from the butter wrapper before discarding it.

The afternoon is spent washing the van and the bikes, tidying up inside and generally getting ready to leave tomorrow. By 6pm we are satisfied that tomorrow all w2e need to do is tie on the tarp and remove a few more items and we will be ready.

We decide to ride into the town on our nice clean bikes to get some more money from a hole-in-the-wall then to ride down to John and Carol’s to say farewell. When we arrive there, we knock but there is no response so we ride further to the river. Nothing very interesting there so we return and see Carol in her garden. A chat over the fense in true English, and maybe French, style and we learn John is playing tennis. We bid Carol farewell until next year and ride back.

Helen, Richard and family have returned so we go to say hello. We end up having a drink before dinner then retreat to the van to clean out the fridge. Before doing so we reverse the van into its parking place for the winter. If  we are hoing to have any problems, we want to know about them tonight.. There is only 100 mm each side to the operation is a delicate one. Things are slightly more difficult as there is now a caravan in there as well. There is only 500 mm for manoeuvring back and forth so after quite a bit of to and fro, the van is as close to the wall as it is going to be. It is also on an angle to allow a ride on mower to get in and out of the yard. Quite a tidy little package of vehicles.

After dinner we go back for some after dinner drinks and share some honey and something pie. We never discover what the something is. We have a lively conversation and an enjoyable evening, returning  to sleep about 12.30. During the evening  Ro has gained a lot of information mainly from Peter on where to visit in UK and what to avoid. It is good that we have started planning for next year already.

Wednesday 5th September 2012

Our task this morning is to empty the van and tie down the tarp. First there is a lot of condensation to wipe from the roof. The tarp is already on the roof, placed there last night, so unfolding it is not difficult. But it is very big and tying it down is a major job. Last year I placed eight large logs on the bottom but wind managed to remove the tarp. This year I use a lot of rope to hold the tarp in place…..hopefully. We will see next year.

By 11 we are ready to drive to Poitiers with Richard. We say farewell to all the others and invite them to look us up if they are in Oz. More likely we will see them next year in UK before we see them in Oz.

We arrive with plenty of time to spare. It is 12 and our TGV leaves at 13.12. Now we know about designation of Voie (platform) 20 minutes or so before departure, we can relax over a coffee until the platform is displayed. When that happens we go down the underpass to platform 2. Lugging one big and one smaller bag is easier than last year and the steps on the underpass are less than those to the overpass where we could use a lift at the expense of more hassle.

Consulting the electronic train composition signs, we position ourselves where our carriage should be. Last year we had 5 minutes to board but as the train has not arrived by 13.10, we may only have a minute or so this time. This proves to be the case. We are not sure if this is carriage 13 as we cannot see any illuminated sign but lug our bags on board and will get to out correct carriage once on the train. Barely a minute after boarding the train is silently gliding  out of the station. Lucky we had positioned ourselves next to the carriage because there would have been insufficient time to walk along the train.    

Getting on and off TGVs requires the same patience by commuters as does driving on the roads. Commuters with large bags (us included) crowd around the doors whether entering or exiting. Everyone indulgently squashes together and squeezes up to allow yet another bag to get through. Yet everyone is in it together and when the doors open or close, the throng disperses. The train is moving when I start looking for a space for our bags. We have boarded the correct carriage but the luggage area is full. However the luggage area of the next carriage has room so I leave our bags there. Last year we were a bit paranoid so chained our bags to the rack  so they would not be stolen. This year, with a better perspective I don’t feel the need to lock them. Besides there is only one stop and we are in First Class, having said to hell with the extra six euros that first class cost over second. The airlines could learn a thing or two from the railways. Has first class on the aircraft been 6 euros, or even 10, more we would have chosen that rather than economy. That is the problem when accountants run companies.

We get to our First Class seats, dust them off and remove the rubbish (only kidding) and settle in. Everything is quiet as the train glides silently along. “Turn right” commands Thomasina from Ro’s bag sitting on the table. A concerned glance from the other passengers prompts us to  turn her off. Luckily the conductor is not near. He may have thought, like the German boarder police last year, that we were trying to smuggle people.

The trip passes quickly and comfortably, other than in the tunnels where ears are seriously assaulted by the pressure wave of the 180kph train. We arrive at Montparnasse. There is a nice feeling of familiarity as we know where we are and what to do. The feeling evaporates as we try to buy a ticket. The machine is in French with no choice of English. It only takes cards and when offered our travel card contemptuously spits it back out with some French phrase which may have been more abusive when it knew it was a foreign card.

Forget about the ticket, we have to call the Paris booking agent. We find a phone. T pianist on a small white upright piano is furiously playing Chopin. Not what you would hear on a Melbourne railway station. The guy in the next cubicle has just left as his card was also rejected.  We try cash. I insert 2  20 cent pieces, The display shows 40 cents. There is a dial tone so we call. Ring Ring. Nothing. We try a few number combinations. Still nothing. At least the phone gives back our coins, which increases my trust that it is not just a con artist disguised as a telephone.  I go for broke and insert 1 euro. This time the phone connects and, as Ro speaks, I feed coins to the phone, which obviously has not eaten in a while. But it does give us change at the end.

Our careful plan to take one metro has been altered by the phone call. We must take the metro to Chatelet  then change lines for one stop to Louvre Rivoli. Sounds simple and is except  for steps which go up and down between the lines. Steps with all our luggage are not welcome. We find another ticket machine which will take our card and does have English so life beautiful.

Arriving at the agent, we attend to some details then walk to our apartment, only 150 metre away. It is similar to the apartment last year and is tiny. This year, we stow our bags in a cupboard and are rewarded with a 20 percent  increase in available floor area.

After a shower, we go exploring. First thing is a bit of grocery shopping for breakfast. We do a circuit of the area and can find nothing but an organic type shop. We buy a few things at what seem to be exorbitant prices then go back for a bit of sustenance. A bit later we venture out again and end up walking to the Pompidou centre where we purchased things last year at a nearby small supermarket. They have not cleaned the centre and, although very popular with the French, looks quite grubby. Maybe its external utilitarian  design ethos is enhanced by the grime.

Returning again to the apartment we pack away some purchases then go out for dinner. We find a small restaurant and Ro has a fish dish while I have duck. Both are delicious. After our meal we walk down to the Seine, 2 blocks away and enjoy the sight of Pont Neuf  with its night lighting. Further over, the Eifel Tower sweeps its searchlight out over Paris once every 30 seconds.

As it is a little cool, we go back to our apartment for the night. I have a small task to complete before bed. For some reason I had decided we did not need our power adaptor with us so left it in the van. We do, in fact, need it for the computer, the camera, the phone, Thomasina, etc etc. Earlier today we visited Darty, an electrical store, where they had adaptors for 30 euro. Too much, when there are aluminium drink cans galore scattered about. So we had picked up one, a Red Bull can which claims to be  an energy thingy anyway, Using Ro’s nail scissors and two Bandaids, I am able to make two circular insulated prongs which slip over our Aussie angled pins and allow us to use the European power point. Perhaps not something the electricity company would endorse, but fine for the small current the charging device draws. Perhaps I should add the postscript: “Don’t try this at home”, but it solves our problem. By morning the computer is fresh as a daisy and ready to use the wifi available in the apartment. To us, wifi on tap is heaven.

Thursday 6th September 2012

We awake at what we think may be 8am. I say that because we don’t actually have a clock. We rely on the computer, still set to Oz time, and the camera.

After breakfast we fiddle about for a while the get ourselves ready to walk to Sacre Coeur. As we enjoy the sun drenched streets, we are surprised that so many people are at sidewalk cafes eating. I think it must be 9 by now so presumably they are having breakfast…… of wine, pasta and other such things. Seems odd for breakfast but this is France. Maybe it is later than 9. We check the camera. It is 12.40. Lunch time. We seem to have lost 3 hours. How careless of us. Anyway we don’t need to be anywhere so we will just adjust the schedule which we didn’t have anyway.

Sacre Coeur is at the highest land point in Paris, which is otherwise flat. As we approach, the roads start to climb and we decide that, given the time, maybe we will buy some rolls which we then eat in an open area near a children’s play ground.

The cathedral is approached by dozens of stairs. It is a magnificent sight. There has been a lot of work in cleaning the stone to its original white colour from the dirty back it was. We see some areas not cleaned and it is a black as black due to years of grime in the atmosphere. There is a truck mounted special purpose crane which is fitted with a very large box with filtered fans which allow them to clean, probably sand blast, the stone without showering the area with sand and debris. This is working on a building facing the cathedral but provides little distraction as it is fairly quiet.

The cathedral, as always, has fantastic masonry work and is of huge proportions. Although, we have become a little blasé about both aspects as we have seen dozens of similar or bigger buildings, this building is stunning for its remarkable mosaic work. Also significant are the domes which give it a middle eastern flavour, even somewhat Taj Mahalish.

 Above the alter is a huge mosaic over the domed ceiling. It is richly adorned with tiny mosaic pieces which make it look like a painting but with greatly enhanced protection against aging.  It gleams like it was finished yesterday.

There is a panoramic view across Paris just slightly lower than the Eifel Tower available from the dome of the cathedral. It involves walking up 200 spiral (helical for pedants) stairs then another 100 steps up hill and down dale across the rooves to the dome. Another short spiral staircase and we have a magnificent 360 degree view around Paris.

The day is clear and the sky blue with only a slight haze evident. The 360 degree view is obtained by walking around the perimeter of the 20 or so metre diameter dome. Barely a hill is visible on the Paris horizon. We spend  about 40 minutes admiring the view, finally descending  a second set of stairs. By the bottom, we are quite giddy from the 10 or so turns we perform as we descend.

We stop at an Irish Pub for coffee and somewhat reluctantly listen to some street performers. When they seek donations, I am tempted to offer money for them to perform elsewhere.

Montmartre is the artists area and there are numerous people wanting to sketch passers by. We wend our way through them and continue along curving quaint streets which once were the haunt of well known artists. We continue on to see le Moulin Rouge. People have commented how small it is but the red windmill I would not call small. It is probably 10 metre high.

We get the metro back to our apartment and later go out to dinner at  au Chien qui Fume, the smoking dog. It had quite quirky artwork around the walls of human bodies with dog’s heads in 1920s type scenes. There were also numerous porcelain dogs. The meals we had were quite tasty although not as good as last night’s despite being  significantly more expensive. However the décor was far better than last night.

We finish up the evening by walking to Ile Saint Louis, past where we heard a jazz band last year. It is nice to be in Paris again.

Friday 7th September 2012

 Today we want to go to Versailles. We have seen Eggenburg, Schonbrun, San Souci and Fontainbleu so our plan is to just view the gardens.  Soon we will discover that ‘just’ is not the correct word.

We are out the door by 10 for our joust with the French rail system. Our Paris Transport map is clear and pretty well the same as all such maps. The walk to le Halle, the closest tube station and the one we should have used from Montparnasse, is only a few  minutes. We need to go to Saint Michelle Notre Dame on line 4 on the Metro (central underground) where we change to RER (suburban) for the trip to Versailles. We could walk to Saint Michelle only 10 or 12 minutes away but using the tube is quick and easy.

Saint Michelle is 3 stops away and trains arrive every minute or two. The ride in the train involves aircraft like acceleration  and deceleration, sometimes as we snake our ways around bends. Usually the train is so packed that we could not fall over anyway or there is a grab rail within reach. The trip takes 4 or 5 minutes and we tumble out onto the platform with hordes of other commuters.

Making our way to the RER platform we are just in time to see a train leave. Damn. However we then see a monitor which shows various trains leave from this platform and the one just gone may not have been the correct one. We have a 15 minute wait for the one we need.

The train is double decked and is fairly empty. Bit of a waste. However, as we stop at the 10 stations before Versailles, the carriages fill and by the time we reach Versailles, there are hundreds exiting through the turnstyles, which are not working anyway. 15 million visit Versailles each year or an average of  50,000 per day….. more in summer. Most of these will arrive by train.

We walk 2 km to the palace and obviously marvel at its size. We can go round the main entrance to the gardens. Where to start.

 If the gardens at Schonbrun were immense these can only be described as gargantuan. The grounds of Versailles were 7600 hectares in Loui’s time but have been reduced to only 800 now. That is small comfort to us as they are too big to appreciate from the ground and far too big to walk around.

We walk toward the Grand Canal which starts probably 2 km from the palace and stretches a similar amount beyond that. There are rowing boats on it, although nowhere really to go. But it would be a good experience. Maybe later.  Up near the palace there are large formal gardens with central water features. The vista from beyond  the formal gardens to the Grand Canal begins with a large fountain, extends through a  wide courtyard then continues as walkways which extend to the Grand Canal  with dozens of statues and a central green swathe of grass. It is a magnificent view. One thing which mars enjoyment of  the environment is the dust from the  gravel paths. It coats  everything,  including the vegetation, with a fine grey/beige dust  which presumably is washed away with the rain. I would imagine the view would be wonderful after light rain.

To the left and right of the walkway to the canal are long corridors of trees bordered by lattices to a height of 2 metre. Hidden in these are eateries, from one of which we buy some coldish and very ordinary coffee with some chocolate brownies, also fairly ordinary. The price is less ordinary.

Walking further in a big loop we come across a beautiful plane tree lined walk which we enjoy on a bench for a few minutes before continuing on to see numerous fountains and water features until we return to the palace.

There is a small train which we think would allow a bit more sight seeing without wearing out our feet so we queue in the hot sun for tickets and rattle off toward an area we have not seen. We get off at the three of the four stops available, one of which is the Grand Trianon. This is a small palace where some of the royals would retreat to escape the formality of the court.  However, these palaces are so big that once the oo-ah factor is over, it is unbounded ‘more of the same’. We are ready to go back to our apartment.

After  some refreshments at the apartment, we want to visit Ile Saint Louis for some of the famous, we are told, Berthillon ice cream. We arrive at 7.40pm, just before their  closing time of  8pm. We have 2 boules each for 7.60 euro. Ro has pistachio and melon and I have chocolate and rum and raisin . Berthillon is said to be the best ice cream makers in France and we would not dispute this. They are truly delicious.

We walk back to ile de la Cite and listen to a jazz band on the linking bridge for 15 minutes then climb down a steel staircase to the bank of the Seine where we watch the sunset with many others who are in groups on rugs with wine and, unfortunately, the ubiquitous cigarette. The view and atmosphere  is unique. The rocks on which we sit are still warm from the sun and we remain there for an hour or so before walking back to our apartment.

Late into the night the streets are still crowded with people. This is the essence of the Paris one hears about.

Saturday 8th September 2012

Somehow the morning disappears. Despite being in wonderful Paris, we have our sights set on home and we don’t feel the need to spend every minute out and about.

We have had a few ideas about what to do today and settle on visiting L’Orangerie, for which we have tickets purchased at Monet’s Garden a few weeks ago. We had intended visiting last year but that did not happen.

We know the building is at the end of the Tuilerie Gardens so we walk past the Louvre and toward the gardens. A map tells us that it is in the far left corner when approaching from the Louvre. On Reaching it, we  walk around it to locate the entrance, not immediately obvious from our approach side.

There is a security check as we enter, the reason for which becomes obvious when we see  how close we can get to priceless paintings such as Monet’s huge waterlily canvasses.

On ground level are  two specially built  rooms which house the waterlily canvasses four of which are  perhaps 15 metre long and four of which are about 10 metre long. Monet spent 30 years of his life trying to perfect the portrayal of his waterlily pond, producing over 300 works on this subject. These 8 huge canvasses were given by him to the state around 1920 with a description by Monet how they should be displayed. The rooms were built in the 1920s for them however, as impressionism had lost its popularity, they were not well received . Over the years, the display fell into disrepair after the rooms were damaged in WW2 until the 1960s when they were refurbished. Since then, they have been major tourist attractions,

The  canvasses in the first room depict the pond at various times  of the day. They show no sky or edges to the pond and were intended by Monet to completely absorb the viewer into them. They certainly are wonderful to see, especially given that central seats provide a distance view while one can also walk to within centimetres of the original canvass to observe brush strokes and, unfortunately, some cracking as they age.

Downstairs are hundreds more paintings by artists such as Renoir, Cezanne and  Picasso. We  also discover painters we do not know such as Soutine, Utrillo and  Rousseau.  We spend a very enjoyable afternoon before walking back to our apartment.

After some refreshments we walk to our supermarket  near the Pompidou. It is Saturday  afternoon and there are people milling everywhere. This is Paris as residents experience  it. 

We stay in for the night, eating a light meal of eggs and vegetables.

Sunday 9th September 2012

Our plans for each day  are now made each morning. When we landed in Paris we saw an elevated walkway from the bus near Orleane Gare which we wanted to see.  In fact there seem to be a number of these which were elevated railway lines through the city in the 1800s and early 1900s. In our Paris guide we have one listed as starting by the Bastille and running for some kilometres.

We take the metro to Bastille and go to street level. Now to find Promenade  Plantee. We ask directions in a bar but no one seem to know where it is. However they do direct us to a Tourist Office… which we cannot find.  As we walk looking for the  tourist office, I hear Australian accents and ask the owners if they know where the office is. They don’t but ask us what we are looking for. We say the Promenade and they indicate they are also looking for it and have seen a sign in this direction. I lament the observation that the French only offer signage which seduces but does not satiate one’s desire for direction.. This seems to strike a chord.

The direction suggestion  is enough as we see the promenade ahead. It is an arched stone structure as would be expected of an 1800s elevated railway line. How the French has used the space  is spectacular. What is missing in street level physical and visual amenity is more than compensated by the elevated promenade. It has greenery either side with a path down the centre and frequent benches. The 19th century apartments rising 5 or 6 storeys above the 2 storey high promenade also benefit from the vista. The appreciation of the populous is evident from the large number of people walking or jogging along the 3 km promenade. We walk the length to a green park which is full  people paying homage to the sun.

Leaving the promenade we  want to make our way to the Gare de Lyon for a metro to la Defence at the opposite end of the line. But which way? As we walk contemplating the map, a young passer by asks in French if we need any help. I indicate that I don’t speak French so she asks in English  then offers us advise as to which metro station to use. She  restores my faith in the French. This year we have seen little if any of the surliness usually attributed to the French, maybe even by us on occasion.

We eventually find the Gare after the odd bit of uncertainty as to where the hell it actually is and take the metro to la Defence, via an expected line change on the way.

La Defence is a  purpose built commercial park of skyscrapers designed to keep such buildings away from the quintessential ‘old’ Paris. The centre piece is a square annulus (if there is such a thing) of immense proportions called the Grande Arche. The centre is large enough to enclose Notre Dame. Other buildings mimic the cube in sympathetic ways. The precinct is as far removed from the ‘old’ Paris as Singapore is and  is reminiscent  of  Singapore in many ways even having an integral shopping plaza making it indistinguishable from any other large city. We have an ice cream sundae  there as an external café was so full of smoke from the al fresco area we didn’t stay.

Back on to the metro for a trip to Jardin du Luxembourg. If we were surprised at the crowds las night, we are more so this afternoon. People are almost elbow to elbow in some areas and in many areas every bit of green grass is occupied.  The hundreds of chairs provided are occupied and as soon as one is vacated, another person occupies it. There is a children’s playground which is packed and horses and ponies  being ridden. Paris is a city with loads of amenity  and the city dwellers, many of whom  live in cramped  apartment accommodation, use the limited open park areas to the max.

Back on the metro for a trip back to le Halle, our closest station, 300 metre from our apartment. We have some refreshments then out again as we want to  visit St Merri cathedral which is close to last year’s apartment and close to the Pompidou. It is open until 6.45 and we arrive by 6.15 but despite two trips around its circumference, we cannot find an open entrance. There are signs at doors that the next door is the entrance but this proves to be similar to a card with PTO on both sides. Looks like we are not destined to see St Merri.

So back again to our apartment as Ro’s knee and feet are complaining from today’s long walks . We have, of all things, a dinner of KFC ( or is that KFP in France: a little  French language joke now that I am in the know ). The plan was to have it on the banks of the Seine as the night is very warm but tomorrow we will regret that if Ro is lame.

Monday 10th September 2012

We are starting to mark time. We leave Wednesday and we have our sights set on home. So what to do today? By 11am we have a bit of an itinerary. We will go to a market which is near la Bastille and open in the am.

We leave le Halle and travel one station to Chatelet. Yesterday we walked but that was because the met tricked us into walking underground to that station as the station we wanted was Chatelet-le Halle, which seems to be a French joke for those not in the know. When we change lines, often the walk is as long as having walked at ground level to the station required. There are a few secrets known only to those in the know in France.

We travel to Bastille then try a new line for us for a station or two to  Ledru-Rollin where we exit. We had  consulted a map underground and now need to get our bearings at ground level. That way, we think. We walk and reach the market without too much effort…... the CLOSED market. Our book neglected to mention the market is every day except Monday. Oh well. Riding the metro is fun so we return home with some pastries for coffee. We bought some Nescafe sachets yesterday and the advantage of then is we know what we will get. With the plethora of coffee descriptions available, ordering is a bit of a mystery bag. So making our own is safe and made to our liking.

After our treats, we get back on the metro to visit the Paris Opera House. We saw it from the outside last year on our way to the somewhat disappointing La Fayette department store and want to see inside.

The Opera House is just across the way from the metro. After a quick security check of our bag, we enter the building through some vaulted cloisters and buy two tickets. Then, after standing in a line for a while, Ro sees a machine which takes credit cards  This speeds up our progress considerably.

The Opera House is absolutely spectacular. It was obviously designed with the thought in mind that way too much opulence is not enough. It seems that the lessons of excess by past royals which resulted in deposition and death were quickly forgotten. Anything we have seen in the various palaces  is easily matched by what is here. As a legacy to the populations of today building such as these are wonderful and this building must be among the best.

The Grand Staircase  is of magnificent marble  adorned with statues. The towering space above the staircase is painted with four sections depicting different musical themes with an  ornate chandelier , one of many  throughout the building. On the second level is a  sumptuously  decorated foyer which was intended to resemble the gallery of a classical chateau( palace). It is intended to provide an area to stroll through during performance intervals. It has  8 or 10 chandeliers either side and is lavishly decorated with gilt and ceiling paintings. The tall windows out to the balcony exaggerate the towering ceiling.

We enter the main auditorium which is also  lavish. Four levels of boxes tower above the stalls. All chairs are thick red velvet. Above the stalls, the boxes have two or three seats with a divider between each set. Entering from the auditorium access foyer through individual doors,  each pair of boxes has an antechamber in which coats etc may be left and include a sitting area out of sight of the auditorium.  Everything is decorated in deep red velvet, all with subdued lighting. Visiting for a performance would be quite an experience.

The auditorium has a massive 8 tonne chandelier and a Mark Chigal painted  ceiling which was commissioned in the 1960s. It depicts composers with a scene from a representative work. The whole experience is at least as memorable  as any chateau.

We return to the rather less opulent metro and back to our rather more opulent apartment. More than the metro and less than the opera house, that is. Everything is relative.

Ro’s knee is causing her problems so I take the opportunity to visit the Museum of Erotica. This museum has erotic art from various cultures and periods. It is more art than erotica and emphasises the views of, mostly, eastern cultures that sex is healthy and wholesome rather than the western view that sex is sleezy.  There are sculptures, carvings, drawings and paintings all celebrating the wonder and power of procreation. However, in many cultures, a phallus is as much a sign of power and protection as an organ of procreation. It is an interesting and informative visit.

I get back to the apartment about 8pm. We have previously decided we will visit the Eifel Tower at night time as we have seen  Paris from Sacre Coeur in daylight. We get onto the metro, now being familiar with how to get around, and travel to the metro station closest to the tower. While we travel, it has begun to rain a little. Fortunately  it is not heavy and during the 400 metre walk to the tower we only get damp.

The tower weaves its magic as we get closer. It is  truly beautiful, particularly when lit at night. We walk under the massive structure and consider climbing the stairs to the second level. However Ro’s knee is likely to be made uncomfortable on the downward journey so we opt instead for the lift. We don’t need to go to the top level and the lower level will be less crowded anyway.

The queue is still 100 metre long and we take 30 minutes to weave our way to the lift. It is still raining a bit and once the queue moves out of the shelter of the tower we get quite damp. We consider exiting the queue but barricades make that difficult. As we consider our options the rain stops and we are dry for the rest of the wait.

The trip in the lift takes a minute or so. The lifts were the largest capacity in Europe when installed in 1990s  with a total of 110 people over 2 levels. The view is captivating with the atmosphere freshly scrubbed by the light rain. We see the silhouettes of familiar  buildings. . Boats with their bright lights move lazily along the Seine  as it snakes its way  toward the horizon before being obscured by buildings.

There is a queue to descend and it is 11.30 before we get to the bottom. We retrace our steps and take the metro home. We are amazed at the number of people still using the system at  midnight on a Monday. Paris is advertised as a safe city at night and we feel perfectly safe. It is suggested that le Halle Forum, our exit point, is not the place to be at night but there are still  a few people exiting the met there.

After a Monday 10th September 2012

We are starting to mark time. We leave Wednesday and we have our sights set on home. So what to do today? By 11am we have a bit of an itinerary. We will go to a market which is near la Bastille and open in the am.

We leave le Halle and travel one station to Chatelet. Yesterday we walked but that was because the met tricked us into walking underground to that station as the station we wanted was Chatelet-le Halle, which seems to be a French joke for those not in the know. When we change lines, often the walk is as long as having walked at ground level to the station required. There are a few secrets known only to those in the know in France.

We travel to Bastille then try a new line for us for a station or two to  Ledru-Rollin where we exit. We had  consulted a map underground and now need to get our bearings at ground level. That way, we think. We walk and reach the market without too much effort…... the CLOSED market. Our book neglected to mention the market is every day except Monday. Oh well. Riding the metro is fun so we return home with some pastries for coffee. We bought some Nescafe sachets yesterday and the advantage of then is we know what we will get. With the plethora of coffee descriptions available, ordering is a bit of a mystery bag. So making our own is safe and made to our liking.

After our treats, we get back on the metro to visit the Paris Opera House. We saw it from the outside last year on our way to the somewhat disappointing La Fayette department store and want to see inside.

The Opera House is just across the way from the metro. After a quick security check of our bag, we enter the building through some vaulted cloisters and buy two tickets. Then, after standing in a line for a while, Ro sees a machine which takes credit cards  This speeds up our progress considerably.

The Opera House is absolutely spectacular. It was obviously designed with the thought in mind that way too much opulence is not enough. It seems that the lessons of excess by past royals which resulted in deposition and death were quickly forgotten. Anything we have seen in the various palaces  is easily matched by what is here. As a legacy to the populations of today building such as these are wonderful and this building must be among the best.

The Grand Staircase  is of magnificent marble  adorned with statues. The towering space above the staircase is painted with four sections depicting different musical themes with an  ornate chandelier , one of many  throughout the building. On the second level is a  sumptuously  decorated foyer which was intended to resemble the gallery of a classical chateau( palace). It is intended to provide an area to stroll through during performance intervals. It has  8 or 10 chandeliers either side and is lavishly decorated with gilt and ceiling paintings. The tall windows out to the balcony exaggerate the towering ceiling.

We enter the main auditorium which is also  lavish. Four levels of boxes tower above the stalls. All chairs are thick red velvet. Above the stalls, the boxes have two or three seats with a divider between each set. Entering from the auditorium access foyer through individual doors,  each pair of boxes has an antechamber in which coats etc may be left and include a sitting area out of sight of the auditorium.  Everything is decorated in deep red velvet, all with subdued lighting. Visiting for a performance would be quite an experience.

The auditorium has a massive 8 tonne chandelier and a Mark Chigal painted  ceiling which was commissioned in the 1960s. It depicts composers with a scene from a representative work. The whole experience is at least as memorable  as any chateau.

We return to the rather less opulent metro and back to our rather more opulent apartment. More than the metro and less than the opera house, that is. Everything is relative.

Ro’s knee is causing her problems so I take the opportunity to visit the Museum of Erotica. This museum has erotic art from various cultures and periods. It is more art than erotica and emphasises the views of, mostly, eastern cultures that sex is healthy and wholesome rather than the western view that sex is sleezy.  There are sculptures, carvings, drawings and paintings all celebrating the wonder and power of procreation. However, in many cultures, a phallus is as much a sign of power and protection as an organ of procreation. It is an interesting and informative visit.

I get back to the apartment about 8pm. We have previously decided we will visit the Eifel Tower at night time as we have seen  Paris from Sacre Coeur in daylight. We get onto the metro, now being familiar with how to get around, and travel to the metro station closest to the tower. While we travel, it has begun to rain a little. Fortunately  it is not heavy and during the 400 metre walk to the tower we only get damp.

The tower weaves its magic as we get closer. It is  truly beautiful, particularly when lit at night. We walk under the massive structure and consider climbing the stairs to the second level. However Ro’s knee is likely to be made uncomfortable on the downward journey so we opt instead for the lift. We don’t need to go to the top level and the lower level will be less crowded anyway.

The queue is still 100 metre long and we take 30 minutes to weave our way to the lift. It is still raining a bit and once the queue moves out of the shelter of the tower we get quite damp. We consider exiting the queue but barricades make that difficult. As we consider our options the rain stops and we are dry for the rest of the wait.

The trip in the lift takes a minute or so. The lifts were the largest capacity in Europe when installed in 1990s  with a total of 110 people over 2 levels. The view is captivating with the atmosphere freshly scrubbed by the light rain. We see the silhouettes of familiar  buildings. . Boats with their bright lights move lazily along the Seine  as it snakes its way  toward the horizon before being obscured by buildings.

There is a queue to descend and it is 11.30 before we get to the bottom. We retrace our steps and take the metro home. We are amazed at the number of people still using the system at  midnight on a Monday. Paris is advertised as a safe city at night and we feel perfectly safe. It is suggested that le Halle Forum, our exit point, is not the place to be at night but there are still  a few people exiting the met there.

A drink to quiet down after out outing and we go to bed about 1am. We like Paris.

Monday 10th September 2012

We are starting to mark time. We leave Wednesday and we have our sights set on home. So what to do today? By 11am we have a bit of an itinerary. We will go to a market which is near la Bastille and open in the am.

We leave le Halle and travel one station to Chatelet. Yesterday we walked but that was because the met tricked us into walking underground to that station as the station we wanted was Chatelet-le Halle, which seems to be a French joke for those not in the know. When we change lines, often the walk is as long as having walked at ground level to the station required. There are a few secrets known only to those in the know in France.

We travel to Bastille then try a new line for us for a station or two to  Ledru-Rollin where we exit. We had  consulted a map underground and now need to get our bearings at ground level. That way, we think. We walk and reach the market without too much effort…... the CLOSED market. Our book neglected to mention the market is every day except Monday. Oh well. Riding the metro is fun so we return home with some pastries for coffee. We bought some Nescafe sachets yesterday and the advantage of then is we know what we will get. With the plethora of coffee descriptions available, ordering is a bit of a mystery bag. So making our own is safe and made to our liking.

After our treats, we get back on the metro to visit the Paris Opera House. We saw it from the outside last year on our way to the somewhat disappointing La Fayette department store and want to see inside.

The Opera House is just across the way from the metro. After a quick security check of our bag, we enter the building through some vaulted cloisters and buy two tickets. Then, after standing in a line for a while, Ro sees a machine which takes credit cards  This speeds up our progress considerably.

The Opera House is absolutely spectacular. It was obviously designed with the thought in mind that way too much opulence is not enough. It seems that the lessons of excess by past royals which resulted in deposition and death were quickly forgotten. Anything we have seen in the various palaces  is easily matched by what is here. As a legacy to the populations of today building such as these are wonderful and this building must be among the best.

The Grand Staircase  is of magnificent marble  adorned with statues. The towering space above the staircase is painted with four sections depicting different musical themes with an  ornate chandelier , one of many  throughout the building. On the second level is a  sumptuously  decorated foyer which was intended to resemble the gallery of a classical chateau( palace). It is intended to provide an area to stroll through during performance intervals. It has  8 or 10 chandeliers either side and is lavishly decorated with gilt and ceiling paintings. The tall windows out to the balcony exaggerate the towering ceiling.

We enter the main auditorium which is also  lavish. Four levels of boxes tower above the stalls. All chairs are thick red velvet. Above the stalls, the boxes have two or three seats with a divider between each set. Entering from the auditorium access foyer through individual doors,  each pair of boxes has an antechamber in which coats etc may be left and include a sitting area out of sight of the auditorium.  Everything is decorated in deep red velvet, all with subdued lighting. Visiting for a performance would be quite an experience.

The auditorium has a massive 8 tonne chandelier and a Mark Chigal painted  ceiling which was commissioned in the 1960s. It depicts composers with a scene from a representative work. The whole experience is at least as memorable  as any chateau.

We return to the rather less opulent metro and back to our rather more opulent apartment. More than the metro and less than the opera house, that is. Everything is relative.

Ro’s knee is causing her problems so I take the opportunity to visit the Museum of Erotica. This museum has erotic art from various cultures and periods. It is more art than erotica and emphasises the views of, mostly, eastern cultures that sex is healthy and wholesome rather than the western view that sex is sleezy.  There are sculptures, carvings, drawings and paintings all celebrating the wonder and power of procreation. There are more phalluses than you can poke a stick at, so to speak. However, in many cultures, a phallus is as much a sign of power and protection as an organ of procreation. It is an interesting and informative visit.

I get back to the apartment about 8pm. We have previously decided we will visit the Eifel Tower at night time as we have seen  Paris from Sacre Coeur in daylight. We get onto the metro, now being familiar with how to get around, and travel to the metro station closest to the tower. While we travel, it has begun to rain a little. Fortunately  it is not heavy and during the 400 metre walk to the tower we only get damp.

The tower weaves its magic as we get closer. It is  truly beautiful, particularly when lit at night. We walk under the massive structure and consider climbing the stairs to the second level. However Ro’s knee is likely to be made uncomfortable on the downward journey so we opt instead for the lift. We don’t need to go to the top level and the lower level will be less crowded anyway.

The queue is still 100 metre long and we take 30 minutes to weave our way to the lift. It is still raining a bit and once the queue moves out of the shelter of the tower we get quite damp. We consider exiting the queue but barricades make that difficult. As we consider our options the rain stops and we are dry for the rest of the wait.

The trip in the lift takes a minute or so. The lifts were the largest capacity in Europe when installed in 1990s  with a total of 110 people over 2 levels. The view is captivating with the atmosphere freshly scrubbed by the light rain. We see the silhouettes of familiar  buildings. . Boats with their bright lights move lazily along the Seine  as it snakes its way  toward the horizon before being obscured by buildings.

There is a queue to descend and it is 11.30 before we get to the bottom. We retrace our steps and take the metro home. We are amazed at the number of people still using the system at  midnight on a Monday. Paris is advertised as a safe city at night and we feel perfectly safe. It is suggested that le Halle Forum, our exit point, is not the place to be at night but there are still  a few people exiting the met there.

A drink to quiet down after out outing and we go to bed about 1am. We like Paris.

 

 

Tuesday 11th September 2012

This morning it is raining steadily. We need to pack and we are happy to take our time. If the day clears up, we may go down to the tower and visit the right bank opposite which we have not seen. We also have not seen much of the Latin Quarter but that may have to wait for another time. We think we will be back.

It is still raining when Ro wants to do a bit of shopping so we leave with umbrella open. It is steady rain and we need the umbrella. We had lost one umbrella at Adi’s in Offenburg and have not replaced it so we look at a 5 euro one. To be on the safe side, we open it. It has no catch so we try another. It has got a catch….. the catch is the slightest puff of wind will destroy it. We leave the shop without the 5 euro umbrella probably not much wetter than had we bought the umbrella. We do buy a couple of other things.

We walk further and, to my extreme excitement, see a mobile crane lifting a steel access frame onto the Pompidou. It has 120 tonne of counterweights and the secondary  jib is 15 or 20 metre long on top of a 15 or 20 metre high main jib.  This is what dreams are made of. As Ro does her shopping I watch ,transfixed.

After watching for half an hour, we return to our apartment as the rain is still steady and do some more packing.

Later as the rain eases  we  leave to visit the right bank opposite the Eifel Tower. Taking the metro to now familiar stations we exit two stations past where we alighted last night. We want to see the Trocadero Fountain which is said to be spectacular at night time. We probably won’t wait until nightfall but want to see it anyway.

Spectacular is a reasonable description, especially as the main fountain jets which are not always on, start as we watch. There are also some more wonderful shots available of the tower which still fascinates us whenever we see it.

We walk around some other gardens in the area then continue up the Seine as Ro wants to see the pseudo memorial to Princess Diana near the tunnel in which she was fatally injured.  Near the Pont d’Alama is a reproduction of the flame  from the torch of the Statue of Liberty. This was erected by the International Herald Tribune newspaper to mark their centenary but, since Diana’s death, has been a pseudo memorial to her. There are flowers, cards, photographs and written tributes to her, especially following the 15th anniversary of her death last month. It is very moving, especially seeing tributes written in texta all around the area. She most certainly touched a chord with very many people.

Back on to the metro, where it is just past peak hour but still very crowded. It is interesting  to observe that the normal rules of interpersonal space disappear in peak hour. With everyone crushed together, especially at entry and exit at stations, what presses against what is largely ignored in the scramble to get on board. It is an interesting social phenomenon.

We get back home by 7pm ready to transfer the contents of the fridge to our stomachs so we don’t have to throw much out. As mentioned previously, we have already reached out quota of waste food this year.

By 10.30 we are in bed hoping for a good night’s sleep before our arduous flight home.

Wednesday 12th September 2012

This morning it is overcast but dry. A major advantage as we have to lug all our baggage to the Forum Des Halles to get the RER to the airport.

We still have some packing to do before leaving by 9. We use a digital fish  scale to get our  bags close to the 20 kg allowance. However, Scot has asked us to bring back some bottles of a non alcoholic German beer and the weight of them is close to 6 kg. They need to be in our hold luggage as liquids of their combined volume are not allowed in hand luggage. This means our hand luggage will be close to the 7kg limit. Everything ends up a bit heavier than allowed and we hope we won’t be stuck with excess baggage, shown on the web as $60/kg.

By 9 we exit the apartment and close the door leaving the keys inside as directed in the supplied notes. The walk to the RER only takes 4 or 5 minutes and we are soon on the platform looking at signs which we don’t find easy to understand. We ask a fellow passenger if the train goes to CDG and she says the next train does. When we ask how she knows that, she explains in good English but we still don’t understand. Another little mystery only available to those in the know.

One way or another we end up on the correct train which stops at Terminal 1 and 3 then continues to terminal 2. We need terminal 1  so alight at the  penultimate stop. Up the escalator from the platform…..but now what? There are signs to terminal  1 but, like other French signs, they are hints not directions. We cannot see anything which looks like an aircraft terminal. What we did not know is that we must take the escalator back down to platform level then the shuttle from the station to terminal 1. 

Finally we are in what is recognisable as an airport terminal. We are directed to Singapore checkn and at long last we are on our way home.

The flight leaves on time at 12 noon and we while away 12 hours with a film or two, a documentary or two and plenty of food. Singapore service is very good. This time the entertainment system is more to our liking also.

Thursday 13th September 2012

The stopover at Singapore passes quickly. We buy some duty free perfume and board the aircraft at 9pm local time for the 7 hour flight to Australia. I had thought our itinerary listed the aircraft as a 747 but it turns out to be an A380, which is good as they are roomy and quite. We have not slept much and don’t sleep much on this flight. But after what seems like an eternity at the time is not so bad in hindsight and we are finally touching down at Tullamarine. It is good to be home.

We pass through the automated scanning system for passport control after working out how to get it to read the chip in our passports. The fact that we don’t immediately understand the signs in our own country maybe suggests the French signs may not have been the problem in France. What could be the common element, I wonder?

Jacinta  has kindly offered to pick us up but it is Brad who arrives. It is good to be on familiar roads with familiar sights.

We go back to Jacinta and Brad’s for a welcome home drink . Scot has called in from taekwondo so we  chat for an hour about our travels and what has happened at home. Bella, our dog, has stayed there a bit and she welcomes us home, not quite sure whether to believe her senses.

About 10 we drive home, me having some slight difficulty adjusting back to left hand side of the road. After a shower we wearily climb into our lovely bed. Space at last zzzzzzzzzzzzz. 

 

About marfee7


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.