Existing Member?

THE BIG ROAD TRIP Canada & the US

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair ...

OMAN | Friday, 19 June 2009 | Views [457] | Comments [5]

“Wow!”, “Amazing!”, “Very pretty”.  These comments were uttered the most as we drove down the Oregon coast and into California.  The rugged Oregon coastline was so beautiful with its backdrop of pine trees.

Last night we stayed in a motel in Eureka, Oregon, a beach town with some stunning old houses.  We had a Guinness and fish and chips in an Irish pub that had an Irish band.

Took off this morning heading for San Francisco and very excited.  Drove right along the coast and into the Avenue of Giants when we hit California.  Fantastic forest of the most amazingly huge redwood trees.  Also saw herds of Elk grazing by the roadside.  And the edges of the highway are just covered in the most amazing wild flowers.  Huge azalea bushes and fox gloves and daisies and other things.  Just beautiful.

Coming in San Francisco was very exciting.  The traffic wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be and we entered by driving over the Golden Gate Bridge!  Awesome!  $6 toll.  LEK had booked a motel but we spent some time trying to get to it as there are so many one way streets, that we couldn’t find our way to it.  We did eventually and the room is great … and cheap as they are doing some renovations.  We will stay here 2 nights.

We went to fisherman’s wharf for dinner … loads of people and lots of crappy food.  Then went for a drive through the Mission and Castro parts of town.  Saw the Harvey Milk Academy and a place called Twin Peaks.  Castro, the gay area of town looks cool and we will investigate that tomorrow.  June is gay month in San Fran, culminating in the Dyke March at the end of the month.  San Francisco is a cool town and quite easy to find your way around … with the help of a map of course.  One of our favourite places so far.

 

Comments

1

San Fran is one of our fave places too, I'm so glad you're liking it so much. Now just because I have to talk about movies in EVERY comment I'll tell you that we saw Evita (the movie) there, back in 1996 in a beautiful old art deco theatre. We walked all the way there and back from our hotel and had a lovely night. You going to check out Alcatraz? All good here, no life changing news just yet xxx

  Dan Jun 20, 2009 1:40 PM

2

Another movie comment. In Vancouver we saw "Every Little Step", a kind of doco about the play "A Chorus Line". Great stuff.

Didn't get out to Alcatraz.

Waiting for that life changing news. xxx

  marcinoman Jun 20, 2009 4:09 PM

3

Hi again. Just read some of your back stories. Sorry to hear about LEK's hip. Hope she's healed by now. I'll be gone from July 8-Aug.25th.......Nila

  nila Balez Jun 22, 2009 5:39 AM

4

Can't see my first comment, so, PS."Love your camping stories. Sounds like you're having a real North American experience. A belated Happy Birthday to LEK. Stay safe." Abrazos. Nila

  nila Balez Jun 22, 2009 5:47 AM

5

Yeah, we loved SF as well. I remember hearing the Sea Lions at Fisherman's Wharf from miles away! Did you drive down Lombard Street?

  Paul Jun 23, 2009 8:56 PM

About marcinoman


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Oman

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.