Existing Member?

THE BIG ROAD TRIP Canada & the US

The first leg: Banff to Vancouver

CANADA | Wednesday, 10 June 2009 | Views [1060] | Comments [9]

The flight from Muscat to Calgary was long, 19 hours with a 3 hour stopover at Frankfurt, but not too tiring.  Disappointingly, there were not too many movies on offer.  The only good one that I hadn’t seen was The Reader, the movie that Kate Winslet won the Best Actress Oscar for this year.  I loved it.   In fact, I watched it twice.  Towards the end of the journey, the guy sitting next to me was watching it, and I surreptitously watched it over his shoulder!

 

Leigh-Ellen met me at Calgary and we drove up to Banff, in the Canadian Rockies. We woke up to snow on the first morning, so like the Aussie that I am, I was out there taking photos almost immediately.  There was just enough snow to coat the cars and the trees and it looked so pretty.  The mountains were lovely, with snow on their summits, and in the morning after Leigh-Ellen left for her relay race to Jasper, I soaked in the jacuzzi while admiring the mountain views through the glass walls and watching the snow falling outside.  Bliss!

 

Crystal, a friend from Japan, who lives in Calgary, and who I haven’t seen for 9 years, drove up to Banff in the morning with her boyfriend, John, and we drove up to Lake Louise for lunch.  A beautiful lake surrounded by mountains, with an incredible glacier just hanging off the mountain, looking like it will fall into the lake at any moment.  After they left I drove on to Jasper, picking Leigh-Ellen up on the way, after her run, all the way looking out for wildlife like bears and moose.  Alas, no sightings.

 

I was keen to see some wildlife on our drive from Jasper to Vancouver and wasn’t disappointed.  We saw a few bears and one in particular who stood up by the side of the road and then ran across the road right in front of our car.  We also saw a gopher, a fox and some deer, however moose are still being elusive.  The mountain views have been nothing less than spectacular since Banff.  All snow capped and very pretty.

 

On the way to Vancouver we stayed a night in Chilliwack, a name that I loved to mispronounce, which made Leigh-Ellen chuckle.  We didn’t know Wayne’s apartment number and squirmed our way into his building, after which he took us for pie at the airport!  Very yummy!  We stayed at an ancient, restored hotel in the centre of town, in a room that had the bathtub in the same room as the bed!  I woke up in the middle of the night and Leigh-Ellen was sleeping on the floor!!  Aparently I was snoring very loudly and she was trying to get away from me.  But it was fun and they served a mean bacon and eggs for breakfast, for which Wayne joined us.  Then we went shopping in the towns second-hand shops and I swapped the bag that I had brought with me for hols, that I loathed after one day because it was too deep and I couldn’t find anything, for a quilted jacket.  Great bargain.

 

The weather in Vancouver, where we are staying with Matt, a friend of Leigh-Ellen’s, is much milder. Matt has a glorious apartment on the 7th floor, all glass, overlooking English Bay and West Vancouver.  He’s taken the day off work today and we’re going out sightseeing somewhere.  We went to a vegetarian Mexican restaurant last night and Leigh-Ellen ate enough food for 3 people, it was so delicious!  Leigh-Ellen made me buy some strips you put on your nose to decrease snoring and apparently I was good for the first half of the night last night, which is better than not at all!

Tags: banff, bears!, calgary, chilliwack, jasper, vancouver

 

Comments

1

Ha ha can't believe you watched The Reader when I got the dvd lady around to get it specially for you!! Got quite a few other things so no problem.

I'm so jealous that you got to see snow on Day 1, how fabulous and how far removed from Oman's sticky Summer!

Jacket for a bag sounds great, wish there were stores like that here!

Have a great time girls, say hi to LEK for me, I really feel for her with the snoring, has she got ear plugs? XXX

  Dan Jun 10, 2009 1:59 AM

2

I just loved The Reader, so would love to keep the copy you got ... Thanks.

I'll have to suggest to LEK that she get ear plugs ... great idea.

Delicious strawberries for breakfast. :)

  marcinoman Jun 10, 2009 2:09 AM

3

Your vaca. sounds magical so far already. I can see myself leading the same sort of life before too long, thanks in large part to you. I've written to you on facebook. When you get a chance and are so inclined, please check it out. It's all good and the lesson plan is developing nicely. I'd just like a little input from my mentor, which, I realized yesterday is what you are to me.

We all look forward to your next installment about your big road trip. You write beautifully.

LOVE YA

XXX

  Linda/Sydney Jun 10, 2009 10:40 AM

4

Hello Mummy!

You're trip sounds amazing and like a real holiday! And not a complaint in sight so far (except for Leigh-Ellen and the snoring... maybe she and Seth can start a Snorer's Bed Sharer's Support Group! Haha!)

Can't wait to read next installment!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Love you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Lisa Jun 10, 2009 3:03 PM

5

Heya mum,
Great read, I am so jealous - I'd be out there with my skis on in a heart beat. We fell in love with Canada when we went a few years back - especially Vancouver but I've always wanted to see Lake louise (not just because it is my wife's middle name...) and Banff. I certainly know where I got the snoring gene from!
When does your Thelma & louise adventure start? Hope you find a Brad Pitt on the side of the road!
xxxx

  Paul Jun 10, 2009 11:01 PM

6

Thanks for your messages, my darlings

Haven't had a chance to look at Facebook yet Linda, but will do asap.

Paul and Lisa we all have the snoring gene. I suggested to LEK that she get ear plugs, which I thought was a great suggestion. She's taken to waking me up when I wake her up! The nose strips work for half the night. xxx

  marcinoman Jun 11, 2009 12:21 AM

7

Hi Marc!

The trip sounds amazing so far. I can't wait hear more as your adventures begin. And also check out the pics.
I seriously don't think you snore that badly:)
Enjoy the food and great views. Love to LEK.
P.S. I can't believe you traded the bag after all the revamping work and all. Hilarious:)
Take care & have fun.

Love Rose Xxx

  Rose Bahou Jun 11, 2009 3:15 AM

8

Rose, LEK thinks you are deaf! After about 1 day I knew the bag would be a pain in the arse. Was delighted to get rid of it.

Paul, our Thelma and Louise journey has begun. Just waiting for Brad.

xxxx

  marcinoman Jun 12, 2009 2:00 AM

9

FYI....Aren's never seen a moose in his 31 years of being vancouver's grizzly adams. I think that's why he's going out with me, to make up for it.
Watch that BC bud.

  Catherine Jun 13, 2009 3:13 PM

About marcinoman


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.