Existing Member?

An Awfully Big Advenure “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” – Fitzhugh Mullan

The story (finally) continues

FRANCE | Sunday, 26 July 2015 | Views [278]

The must do selfie

The must do selfie

Yes, I know, I'm a terrible blogger. Imagine leaving over 2 months between entries! Scandalous! Anyhow, I will attempt to make up for it all with numerous entries of the past couple of months of adventure. Now, where was I? Ah yes, Paris.

 

So the next day was Versilles day. What an amazing place; tapastries, paintings, sculptures, gold, as far as the eye could see and further. The rooms upstairs were as about as opulent as it gets. Of course one of the highlights was the Hall of Mirrors. It's as beautiful as all the pictures you've seen and slightly disconcerting considering you can see yourself EVERYWHERE. Still, it was super amazing to be able to walk through it and marvel at the wealth and beauty. The King's and Queen's bedrooms weren't that huge but were, of course furnished like they didn't know what else to spend the money on. It was a bit sad to hear how public the royals' lives were. Nothing was private, not even childbirth - it was kind of an event that anyone in the palace could attend. The King and Queen would often even dine with an audience. What a tiring existence. 

Right, done with the palace, time for the gardens. Wow, just wow! They cover about 800 hectares of land and every inch is manicured perfectly. Even though there were quite a few people there, it still felt peaceful. You could easily get lost without a map (those who know me will know I have no sense of direction so a map was essential!) it's so big. We grabbed some lunch and hung out by a statue of Hercules as you do. We had a random cat for company who seemed to very much enjoy some of the pizza toppings. What an amazing home you have kitty. Luckily the fountain display was on that day so we watched as the water danced in time to the music, it was memorising. At that point the heavens opened up so we took our leave after many hours of wandering. 

As luck would have it, the train we needed to catch to get back to the hotel stopped at the Eiffel Tower metro so we did our tourist duty and visited the tower. It is quite an amazing structure. Way bigger than you imagine. As I'm not exactly a fan of being up high voluntarily and neither is Vanessa, we stayed on the ground and basically just looked up. Some brave/crazy souls were taking the stairs up to the first landing. I imagine the view from there and the higher landing is spectacular - I'm happy just imagining. After some essential photo ops, we headed back and met some gorgeous little ducklings and their mama along the way. Nothing quite like happy little animals to make your day. 

About marciekiwi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.