Existing Member?

“An overview of my trip to Cuba"

“An overview of my trip to Cuba"

CUBA | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [462] | Scholarship Entry

Have just recently returned from a two week holiday in Cuba -an organized trekking tour identified as 'Revolutionary Cuba'. It was very interesting -started in Havana and then visited significant places associated with revolution such as Fidel Castro's hideout in Sierra Maestra mountains when he and Che initiated the revolution in 1956- also Bay of Pigs and Che's Mausoleum in Santa Clara. The trip also included some heavy duty trekking -two days in a beautiful nature reserve where we were transported by Russian trucks and slept out on veranda and tents with sleeping bags. Also two day climb up the highest mountain in Cuba Pico Turquino - in same mountainous area as Fidel's hideout. The trip was organized by a group of experienced trekkers.They had been to Nepal and the Peru Inca trail and so on. The trekking part was more strenuous than I anticipated. It was very steep, muddy and raining -at least I had invested in some proper boots! And we had to transport our gear and sleeping bag up 6km of very steep terrain. It was a small group of 13 people including me and we had an excellent Cuban tour leader who provided information on the history of Cuba, the revolutionary history and the architecture. Was impressed by the warmth, artistic and musical culture of the Cuban people. In Havana we went to the Buena Vista club and have a great video of the history and music of the group made by film maker Wim Wenders with musician Ry Cooder.
Our Tour leader had excellent English language communication skills and had graduated from University in English. He was initially a teacher and then transitioned to Tourism. All the other guides that were assigned for the trekking and nature reserves were also both knowledgeable, and highly educated. The US sanctions have taken a toll and the Cuban economy is still in crisis. All Cubans get paid more or less the same amount irrespective of job. The revolutionary history of Cuba is quite extraordinary and the fact that Cuba has survived the CIA plots and economic sanctions, exit of Russian investment is remarkable. China has moved in to invest and all tourism Buses are manufactured in China. Obama has loosened the US grip and there are now organized groups from USA. As well Raoul Castro has introduced a more flexible market oriented economy - for farming, restaurants and 'home stay' places for visitors. There were many tourists from all over - Korea, Europe, Germany and EU countries.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About mar_nav


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cuba

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.