Existing Member?

Don't be a chicken, you'll upset the rabbits Our adventures through Japan, Spain, France, Germany, Austria & America.

Day 2 - Harajuku, Shinjuku

JAPAN | Saturday, 3 May 2014 | Views [195]

Day 2, sleep was good, coffee is better

Coffee kick starter

Today we hit Harajuku which is known for people dressing up and this market strip

Fashion

A few interesting outfits and great little gallery Amber took us to that she and Aaron used to frequent. Then off to Yayogi park and saw the Meiji temple before which stand a butt load of sake barrels that might last Daniel the week.

 

Sake

Temple

Amber let us loose in Shinjuku for a while so that we could get lost and try and find the Robot Restaurant. We were properly lost but found an nice park where we could try out a traditional toilet

Toliet

 

 

and later some grass just planted on the side of the road - something you never see in Japan - I couldn't help but touch it

Grass

After consulting google maps, we stopped at Dalhi Bar for a beer or three after a local flagged us in. He bought us a drink and the bartender explained he had been there since the night before. His mate was sleeping on the bar beside him *light weight* so we returned the favour and we couldn't quite understand each other, except of course: Kampai.

Every now and again a door would slide open and you would be bombarded with high pitched sounds and blinding lights - these were Tokyo's casinos. We tried entering one but after a few seconds the noise and fluro lights got to be too much - don't know how people endure it in there but they seem pretty relaxed in their Pokies zombie state.

Robot


The robot restaurant was a must see, it was fantastic. We didn't bother eating there, just a few more beers, but what a show! Met Amber again after the show, who was discreetly recharging her phone from a cord that was dangling into the street from the power lines. Back to Dalhi Bar for dinner ($5 Curry & $5 beer) to refuel then on to Golden Gai. Going through all the little bars which hold a few people (2-12) was just amazing. I found one which suited us it played metal and the guy was cool. Also there was no cover charge or 'female companions' to deal with.

Golden Gai Bar

The publican Go also played my favorite metal band Manowar. We caught the last train home, but Amber missed hers and had to fork out for a cab to get to Asami's place.

About map7


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.