Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

West Coast to Franz Joseph, NZ

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 30 June 2009 | Views [489]

Westport turned out to be no more than a fuel and food stop as there isnt much to see or do really so headed along one of the most magnificient coastal roads that switched between coastal highways and mountain passes with some stunningly amazing views of the Tasman Sea. Stopped off at Paparoa National Park in Punakaiki to check out the blowholes (which werent blowing due to the lack of tide and south westerly wind) but the pancake rocks were awesome and thankfully the weather held to give some beautiful views of the 12 mile stretch (rock formations in the sea). Pushed on to Hokitika via Greymouth (grey by name grey by nature) which is a cute little with a beack on one side a river the other with glorious snowcapped mountain views in the distance. Although a bit cloudy the sunset from "sunset point" was spectaculour. Hoki is a great base to go  check out the wonderful glacial Kaniere Lake before heading to Hoki Gorge via the pretty Dorothy Falls. A short walk to the gorge leads to a swingbridge under the bluest water I have seen on my whole world trip - just amazing (something to do with amount of oxygen in the water). My guide book doesnt really hype up the gorge so i am so very thankful to the campsite owner who shared his local knowledge with us that morning because its a must see in my book.

Could easily have stayed much longer in Hoki but time is pressing so headed further down south along the westcoat toward Franz Joseph (FJ) Glacier via a beautiful picnic stop at Lake Ianthe.

Lots of people have recommended hiking up FJ whilst others have recommended the heli hike up. It was a difficult choice to make but due to time constraints decided on the helicopter up which gave some spectacular aerial views of the Glacier and surrounding forested valley. We landed at the very top which was so very peaceful and serene but for the occassional bellowing of ice/rock fall in the valley (it sounded like cannon fire). There were only about 10 of us on the Glacier and after slipping on our crampons we enjoyed a couple of hours following our pick axe wielding (sp) guide exploring the blue ice caves and ice pools which you couldnt hope to reach by foot on the day hikes and the magestical scenery on what thankfully turned out to be quite a bright and sunny day. I have to admit i was a little nervous before going up given that two Aussie tourists had died recently earlier in the year (they crossed a barrier they were warned against crossing) but once on the Glacier you're just taken aback by its stunning beauty. Might leave the full day hike up for my return visit to New Zealand (which there will be ...sometime in the future).

One of best things about the camper van is having the freedom to stop anywhere you like whenever you want which wouldnt have been possible on a tour bus. Often we've stopped at a glorious lake and made a cuppa tea (they have PG tips here - hurrah!!) and had a biscuit or had some Jamaican Ginger Cake and Custard. Love it!!!

 

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.