Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

Hoi An and Hue

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 13 December 2008 | Views [234]

I had a few days spare before my visa runs out on 17th March so I decided to head down the coast a bit as I cut it out previously due to bad weather.

I decided against taking the overnight bus which takes some 24 hours to get to Hoi An. In the main because I couldnt be done with "roughing' it for so long on a bus so instead opted for the luxury of an overnight train. I say luxury - it has clean sheets at least and a decent-ish loo - of sorts. I set off 11pm and woke up just in time to catch some of the wonderful views of the coast from Hue to Danang where the train terminated. From there I got a very nice moto driver to drop me off in Hoi An which is a cute little town (unesco world heritage site). I was a bit reluctant to go to Hoi An as I heard that there were about 500 tailor shops in the centre (and not much else). This is true but the shops themselves are in quaint old french colonial buildings with the town itself along side a river and the sea. Its a small enough place to walk around and having arrived around 3pm ish that is what I did. Good job too as the next day the weather wasnt as good and it began to rain. It was lovely just walking around the place and soaking up the atmosphere. Even better I bumped into a dutch friend of mine I had meat in Hanoi and also met another dutch couple I'd met in the Mekong Delta, for dinner which was lovely.

I have to admit after telling myself umpteen times I wouldnt get anything made....I caved and got a pair of trousers made for travelling (they are light and flowy). Other than that I was pretty good figuring there'd be no point in getting clothes made now to send home to the UK, only to return to the UK and they not fit ...my having lost (hopefully) a shed load of weight in the interim!!!(well here's hoping!). Unlike a swiss chap I bumped into. He had a penguin suit, 3 normal suits, 3 jackets, 3 trousers, 8 shirts and goodness knows what else made - wouldnt wanna be carrying his back pack!!

After 2 nights in a windowless damp room I was ready to go to Hue (in order to cross the border to Laos the day after). Unfortunately it was chucking it down and despite a wonder around Hue didnt really do it for me. That said, I think I had had enough of Vietnam by then and was just ready to go.

Vietnam itself was nice enough. Halong Bay, the Mekong Delta and Sapa were all just spectaculour but for some reason I didnt feel the same way about Vietnam as I did about China or Cambodia. I just wasnt feeling "the love' from the Vietnamese. Nothing bad happened at all and in fact I had no trouble at all but i just didnt warm to vietnam. That said perhaps I didnt meet as many locals as I did in China/cambodia? I dont know. All I know is that I was ready to leave...and now here I am in Savannakhet, Laos (16th December).

Managed to cross the border without any difficulty except an inordinate delay in getting my visa all the while having palpatations wondering whether my bus would wait for me (i watched it cross the border and disappear around the bend - the laos border control man assured me it was just around the corner!!). I have to say the border control chaps, contrary to those on entry in Vietnam were ever so friendly and helpful despite trying to slightly overcharge for my visa. Nice start i thought

I've just got back from having dinner and everyone has been so friendly saying hello as I walk by. I have a good feeling already about laos and I hope it continues.

Think I will probably head up north to Vientienne in the next day or so. As its the capital I should have internet access but I wont be logging on for a few days so dont worry.

Ten 4.x

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.