Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

Tiger Leaping Gorge

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 22 October 2008 | Views [239]

After a glorious two hour bus ride through mountains from Lijiiang I arrived at the start of a 2 day trek to Tiger Leaping Gorge (the deepest canyon in the world)

We unfortunately started around 11.30 which meant that as we were reaching higher peaks the sun was becoming quite draining. The walk up was amazing though with some magnificient peaks on both sides of the gorge, up to 4000 metres high. We took the high trail which culminates in a peak some 2670m high. I have to say I found it quite difficult in my rather unfit state and just short of 400 metres from the top jumped on a mule (poor old mule). Hilariously the chap slapped me a few times on the rear (in a non pervy way) and would smile at me. It turns out that its a kind of compliment to those carrying a few extra pounds (read stones) - my extra weight suggesting that I must be of wealth.

After trekking for most of the day we stopped over at a lovely guest house with some wonderful views of the peaks. The next day it was mostly down hill Tiger Leaping Gorge passing some wonderful waterfalls and forna. We headed to the middle rapids which apprently has the narrowest highest and deepest gorge in the world. Legend has it that it is here that a tiger leapt onto a stone in the middle of the gorge to cross from one peak to another as he escaped death from huntsmen.

The rapids at the bottom were loud and hypnotising with rainbow coloured spray 'clouds'. It was a wonderful place to be and I was so very glad I made the effort to come all the way to see it. We chilled here for about an hour before a very steep hike up to our hostel where we had some much needed showers.

Tiger leaping gorge is probably the second highlight of china for me (the first being the Great Wall). The peaks were just so amazing as was the Yangtze river running through it. My only regret is that I didnt climb the first peak all the way. I have noticed of late that the determination and will power I had some 5 years ago seems to be waneing (sp?). I have been told in the past that I can be quite competative and thinking about it had I been with my furniture maker friend I am sure I would not have given in as I hate being beaten. That said it gives me something to come back to China for as next time, I will be walking all the way!

thanks FR and AL for your messages - will reply just as soon as.x

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.