Existing Member?

Chal Basanti Chal! My extended holiday around the world

Hi Lady what do you want? I give you good price...

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 10 October 2008 | Views [440]

Woke up late today around 11 ish and headed to the Temple of Heaven which quite simply is a devine wonder situated large park area. Apparently Emporers used to come here faxt and pray for a good harvest carrying out various rituals and given animal sacrifices. It was thought that this was the meeting point for Heaven and Earth which were considered round and square respetively - thus as you go around you notice a lot of circular pavillions/temples on square platforms. Even the park in which the temple is situated is in the shape of a square along side a semi circle.

I am not an expert but the architecture is amazing. The main temple is a circular 3 tier wooden construction (built with no nails) based on a 3 tier square marble platform. Its vibrantly decorated and dragons are once again a them. Dragons and and the Pheonix were highly regarded by the Chinese. I often overhear various tour guides and apparently the Dragon is supposed to be the Emporer (but I am think it might have been a yarn for the American tourists to be honest). The 3 tier Pavillion's 3 tiled roofs are an vibrant royal blue. The colour blue also had some signficance but I forget as I write (it will come back to me). The exterior is dazzling. The interior is not open but you can glance through and its just as amazing. The intricate detail is wonderful.

In front of the Imperial Vault of Heaven (which is another magnificient circular pavillion) some chinese people were randomly clapping (once) in front of it. I couldnt quite figure out why but thought perhaps it was for luck so I did the same (when in rome and all that).

What really made my day various chinese women who had bought along some tunes and speakers and were singing and dancing to the music in the park. I stood and watched for a while and one of the ladies patted the seat next to her inviting me to sit alongside so that I had a good view from the front. Next think you know I was strutting my stuff along side them as they were teaching me their elegant moves (not that I was very elegant I hasten to add - more a baby elephant - reminds me of an old law school buddy of mine). Along the various walkways/corridors you would see locals playing cards or what looked like foot badmington - it was wonderful and quite uplifting

I have to say Beijing has truley surprised me. I did not expect it to be so beatiful. I suppose you hear all the scare stories of people trying to rip you off etc and so when I arrived I was very much on guard and expecting the worse but its truley had been a delight. Its a shame I am leaving tomorrow (long story but I wrongly booked an overnight train ticket to Datong for Friday night instead of Sunday night!!)

After walking around the grounds I noticed people running. How could I have missed the dark grey rain cloud above? (I had been in the WC for a while - again thats another story). I had been lucky with the weather hitherto but now it looked like the heavens were about to open and I didnt want to be near trees when they did! So as quick as a flash I wipped out my bright red rain jacket and non matching blue waterproof trousers and followed the crowd to the exit and then headed to the Pearl Market a few minutes away.

The Pearl Market is a massive (and I mean massive) indoor market. Those that know me well will know I hate shopping but I loved this  market. However you could not go past a stall without someone shouting "Hi lady what do you want. I give you good price?' It was quite sweet at first but after the zillionth time it gets a bit wearing (but in a good way). Was it that obvious I was a tourist in my red jacket, blue trousers and ruck sack...wait for it..strapped to the front (the guidebook had warned against pick pockets? May be a little bit but who cares - I came home without anything geting nicked! Beijing pick pockets - null point (read in  a french accent).

There wasnt anything you couldnt buy here. They sold everything from beautiful silk scarfs, ipods, jade necklaces to converse trainers - all rip offs I am assuming. I didnt really need anything except a headset. I was ready to start haggling again but its a amazing at this market - you dont need to - the vendors end up reducing the price within seconds " just for you lady I give you my cost price" (yeah right). The headset was being offered to me for 120 Y -when I kept silent the vendor eventually offered it for 60Y. After I told him I would come back after I had shopped around a bit he said it may have gone up by then  to 80Y - I shrugged my shoulders and as I was walking off told him he could have 50Y and put the cash on the counter. After some deliberation he begrudgingly accepted after pulling a face like I had just rippped him off! I wouldnt mind but to put it in perspective my accomodation is 60Y a night so I dont think he did too bad for 50Y for a headset which equates to around a fiver ( I resisted haggling further as he was quite entertaining)

After the market I headed to Beijing Railway Station which was a journey and a half (there is no direct underground so I had to take a bus which wasnt easy when you cant read chinese). Booked a an overnight train for friday night to Datong where there is a hanging temple (off a mountain side) my friend recommended I go and see. From Datong I hope to get another overnight train to a place called Pinyao and then another overnighter to Chengdu (panda reserve) where I hope to meet up again with my 2 travel companions who left themselves today for Datong. As I am leaving a city I am not sure when I will next have internet access do dont be too concerned if you havent heard for a week or so.

Its late here and I need to go to bed now but just wanted to say thank you all for your wonderful comments regarding my trip and the blog. Apologies in advance as I may not be able to reply on an individual basis given time contraints on the PC but its lovely to know you are with me on my journey.

Night.x

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.