Existing Member?

Travellesous

Niravana-Journey to Gangotri

INDIA | Monday, 25 May 2015 | Views [182] | Scholarship Entry

It was the month of June and summer was bidding adieu and rainy season was stepping from the back doors. I with my family had planned a trip to Gangotri, a pious Hindu pilgrimage place in Uttrakhand. The road trip from Yamunotri to Gangotri is beautiful. Mother Nature was at its best on this route. The route is full of X’mas (Pine) trees, snow glacier, and ayurvedic medical trees. Several small water springs came out from the rocks and that made the natural scene picturesque. The air was pure and water crystal clear. After around 4 hours of journey, we reached Gangotri. Gangotri, the origin of the River Ganges and seat of the Goddess Ganga, is the epitome of Hindu’s belief. My eyes were absorbing majestic beauty of coniferous forests and grandeur of glacial world combined with lush green meadows. While I was busy in viewing the beauty of the surrounding, someone from behind tapped me on my shoulders. When I turned back, I saw a Hindu Monk with a stalwart personality was standing in front of me. The Monk’s face was glowing like a sun and his eyes were deep and intense like a godly man. In bowed down to him and as he seemed to be quite knowledgeable I inquired about the history of the place. The monk explained how 60,000 sons of King Sagar destroyed the cottage of Saint Kapila due to the misconception that the Saint had stolen the Ashwamegha horse. Feeling disturbed and insulted, Sage Kapila burned the 60,000 son to ashes by yogic fire from the third eye. In the seventh generation of King Sagar, King Bhagirath was born. King Bhagirath came to know that his ancestors didn’t attain salvation due to untimed death. King Bhagirath was advised to please Brahma by penance so that he releases the Ganges from the kamandula and bring to Earth to purify the ashes and liberate his ancestors. Happy with the meditation of King Bhagirath, Lord Brahma was ready to liberate Ganga to the earth and the place where Ganga first came to earth was Gangotri. I was mesmerized by the style of storytelling by the Monk and story was running like a reel against my eyes. When I came out from the hangover of the story, the Monk had disappeared into thin air. When I recalled, I had an instinct that the Monk was none other but King Bhagirath. Thus, this was the holy experience, a feeling of Nirvana, which I will never forget. The nearest airport is Delhi from where the train to Haridwar can be taken. Train to Haridwar can be booked from any of the major station of India.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About manandoshi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.