Existing Member?

The Great Beyond

Perspective

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 7 September 2015 | Views [204] | Scholarship Entry

I'm obsessed by other cultures, both the differences and the similarities that unite us, and I love hearing stories from people's ordinary lives: what might appear basic and mundane to the storyteller can strike someone else as completely unexpected and magical. This opportunity would transform my life, putting me back on the trail of my passion. I studied film, but had to withdraw from my course due to health complications. Instead, I travelled to India and worked for some time with a guerrilla filmmaking crew, with the aim to make a documentary on self-sustainability, comparing methods used across the country. Unfortunately, I had to return to the UK, and though I was awarded a grant to complete the film, the council closed down the grant providers before I could access the funds. With no money, I was unable to return to India, nor to education. Working dead-end jobs for minimum wage has lowered my expectations, but as it gives me the time to pursue writing, painting, photography and video, I feel lucky compared to those who have no time at all. However, give me the chance to step up my game and I know I will make something incredible. Nothing gets my blood pumping more than the promise of adventure, and the opportunity to tell a great story. Let me be the one to do this and that spirit that originally drew me to pack up, leave everything behind and set off down the road less travelled will be tested once again. Who knows, I might be able to finish that film after all.

Tags: 2015 Film Scholarship to Colombia

About malleycat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.