Existing Member?

World Wanderer

Jungle High

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 6 May 2014 | Views [196] | Scholarship Entry

It is hot, too hot. My lungs need air but it is thick and heavy, hard to breath in. It is not raining but the humidity is extremely high. I look over my shoulder to one of my travel companions. Her hair is a careless tangle on the top of her head covered by a kerchief in an attempt to keep the bugs away. She looks as tired as I feel. With a sigh I look down my arm and I see red welts beginning to appear. Great. Bug bites.

Are we there yet? This is taking FOREVER.

It started last night with a 7 hours bus ride down the Ecuadorian Andes through cliffs and mountains. Our final destination: a research station located in the heart of the Amazon. From the bus we went to a boat, then a truck, and finally a canoe. The last part of the journey could only be completed on foot.

We have been walking up hill for ages and my backpack feels as if it weights a ton. The guide turns, smiles and signals to the first vestige of civilisation we have seen in hours: a small hut. We don’t need the shade; the foliage is thick and the sun is about to set; but rest is welcomed.

We pass around a bottle of water and set the backpacks down. I close my eyes and take a deep breath enjoying the short pause. The guide clears his throat. I open my eyes, dreading the end of the break. “Everybody! Flashlights out!” I wince inwardly: tired and walking in the dark, just what I needed. He doesn’t seem to notice my grey mood. “You are in for a treat”, I raise my eyebrow in disbelief as he points to the back of the hut.

The thickest tree I have ever seen lies before my eyes. It is easily 3 meters wide. The huge trunk is the main support of a 40 meters tall observation tower. Resting at its side it’s a staircase leading to the top. “Be careful but hurry up” are his only words as he leads the way.

Fatigue is easily forgotten as we eagerly climb the tower.

I reach the top, my lungs need air and my heart misses a beat.

WOW.

I just stand there, on the top of the jungle, watching the sinking sun. The sky slowly goes from deep blue to orange, yellow and bloodshot red. We are all perfectly still and quiet. The light dies but the jungle is alive and we see it, we hear, we FEEL it. Birds flying around the treetops. Monkeys going from branch to branch. Just amazing.

On the way down we turn on the flashlights. Our energy is renewed for the last part of the hike. The station, the possibility of a hot meal and a comfy bed gone from our minds after that unforgettable breathtaking sunset.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About majoguevarad

A view of the London Eye at Night

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.