Existing Member?

snow stones and smoke

something small is better than nothing at all

QATAR | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [86] | Scholarship Entry

"I Won't go since none of my friends are - I would be all alone" I remembered these words throwing my tired body on the soft serene bed .
In seconds I was sobbing into my pillow like I had been for the past seven days in Italy . The land of civilizations long lived and lost ,of art ,music and heritage .
Lifting my head from the white sheets and rubbing my teary eyes I got up and began to pack for the flight back home to Lahore . I had cried myself awake on the flight before away from Lahore and here I was with blood shot eyes of embarrassment going back this time .
I never thought I would actually to able to get this dream ,my Baba was anything but reluctant and the single reason of convincing I had was because I study world history he had to let me go .
Somehow my prayers were answered and I was to leave for my first trip without my parents . Of course I loved the seven days of riding through Italian fields but like everything one loves it involves pain, hurt and unfulfilled ordeals . My time in the foreign land was beautiful ,unique unlike anything before but incomplete .
Maybe it was just the fact that I was seventeen I hoped that I would have ones of those finding yourself moments in a foreign country - but alas life is no romantic novel . With some girls from my school I had embarked on this journey . We landed in Rome drove to Pompeii then back . Made our way to Florence and Venice yet nothing extraordinary happened . I climbed up the slope of a volcano and gazed out at the clean ,vibrant colours of the houses and the beach ,but I felt nothing. Everywhere I turned I smelled the scent of olives and rosemary , saw lovely people with curly hair and bright eyes and yet I felt nothing . With the girls I was not comfortable I realised that they were from a different world altogether even if we came from the same place. It left me rather hurt and I would go up to the roof of the hotel everyday to watch the sunrise and sunset waiting for something to hit me hard.
In Rome something almost happened , I saw someone walk by our eyes met- his were blue and bright like the sky was right at sunrise . I wanted so much to talk to him but in the fear of the moment I ran away from the place . After which I thought about only that and nothing more.
Maybe it was just that I was seventeen, if you ever go somewhere do not afraid or ashamed take time to let it all sink in . Learn whatever you can and take it easy . Looking down I saw that everything was perfect .

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About mahi15


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Qatar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.