Existing Member?

Not just grits and greens

No kale or quinoa today

USA | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [120] | Scholarship Entry

"Why are those truffula trees crying, mama?" Feeling somewhat amused but mostly ashamed my kids don't know my childhood home, I answer "Those aren't truffula trees and they aren't crying. Those massive trees are mossy oaks and it's a sign we're getting close."
Thomasville, Georgia is not along an interstate. It does not have a big black dot on the map next to its name. Successful businesses like Flowers Bakeries and Sweet Grass Dairy have made it a little less obscure, but unless you have truly experienced it, you have most likely not heard of Thomasville.
As we approach our first stop in town, I explain you are about to eat some of the best and freshest food you've ever tasted. The Market Diner is a small restaurant located within a Farmers Market, and no the Farmers Market is not the typical Saturday morning market where you stroll around looking at fancy produce while sipping your latte. No, this is a real market.
After a familiar warm greeting we are directed to a buffet (yes, a buffet). Ordinarily my husband would not consider eating at a buffet, but I promised he would not be disappointed and he devours a few plates. What is more entertaining is watching my mini-me daughter inhale fried chicken without taking a breath. Genetics is real.
After a satisfying lunch, I take my city dwelling family on a tour of the area. The history of my youth is within every landmark. A park filled with massive magnolias, a tree that stretches past city blocks, and antebellum homes along a quaint downtown truly transport you into another dimension. Walking along the cobblestone street, relaxation starts to creep in.
Now it is time to find a spot the spend the night and truly feel the beauty of this place. After driving along a long and winding path deeper and deeper into the woods, the trees start to clear and small signs direct us to our lodge. We've rented a place at Myrtlewood Plantation, a 3300 acre estate. Each building is located on a lake with views in every direction. We spend the evening in awe of the environment all around us. Strolling around the area, my children can see (up close) deer, turkey and get the thrill of a lifetime when an alligator jumps in the lake to escape us! To them, the wonder of it all makes them ask how I could ever leave, and at this moment I can't exactly remember myself.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About magnolia


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.