Existing Member?

To see the sea, to walk through lands

Meeting on a seaside

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [152] | Scholarship Entry

I left my parent's house five years ago and now I visit them once a year, hardly more often. They live in a small seaside town on the Baltic sea so it's a real travel to come there.
This spring I came to this town for a couple of days and first of all went to the seaside. I really love our rigorous Baltic sea and miss it very much. Nevertheless, I was staying at the beach and thinking about going away because it was extremely cold and windy even for that climate.
Suddenly a man came to me and asked: "How do you think, what's the temperature of water now?" He was around 50 years old and looked a bit excited. I figured that the ice has already melted away but obviously it's happened not very long ago, and answered that it was about 5 degrees.
Then he said: "I'm going to leave soon but I still haven't touched the water. I think I can go into the water a bit, can't I?"
"Well, go ahead, - I said – But it's so chilly, don't catch a cold.
"Yeah, I'll try! Can you please take a photo?" - and he gave me a camera and swiftly went to a cabin and then appeared in swim pants. Here I have to remind that it was cold like hell and the wind was blowing away myself together with a hood, a scarf, and my will to leave in a place where I can have a hot tea.
Meanwhile the man entered the sea. I was making photos of this heroic process while he was going on and suddenly he took a dip in the sea. I mean, in fact he started to swim in the Baltic sea in the early May. He was waving his hands with joy. As for me, I was completely shocked and just kept pressing the button on his camera.
When he came out he was happy and absolutely pleased with life. I strewed him over with compliments like "you're completely crazy!" He appeared to be from Vologda. It's in the middle of Russia. By the way, on my recommendation to drink something strong as soon as possible, he answered that he didn't drink alcohol at all. Cool Russian man.
But I am not, so I went away to find a hot tea ASAP.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About magiakter


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.