Existing Member?

The Madrones Adrian & Kerry Madrone travel the world!

Unabashed Tourists

THAILAND | Sunday, 24 December 2006 | Views [726] | Comments [2]

Here's a snapshot of how we have spent the past few days in Bangkok:

We wake up early, sightsee all day, come home in the evening for rest time, and then go out and stuff our bellies full of delicious food before going to bed.

Saturday was a transit system adventure to a few temples and shrines all over the city. In the morning we took a tuk-tuk across town to a Brahman shrine in the middle of the city. We realized pretty quickly that taking a tuk-tuk across town was a huge mistake as we spent the entire time with our shirts over our faces trying to filter the huge clouds of exhaust assailing us from every direction. While it was the quickest mode, we probably should have taken an air-conditioned taxi and sat in traffic with fresh recycled air. The shrine itself was very active and satisfyingly over-stimulating. It was set on a normal ol' street corner in the middle of huge skyscrapers with skytrains whizzing by up above. Many devotees were there to hire onsite Thai dancers to dance offerings of appreciation and reverence. We took many photos.

After that we walked about 20 minutes to another shrine where we found ourselves completely alone with many realistic phallus sculpture offerings to a fertility shrine. This shrine was hidden away next to a hotel parking garage. We paid our respects and took more pictures.

Then we were off on a skytrain ride to a Hindu temple honoring Uma Devi (consort of Shiva). Here there were no photos allowed so we just walked around and admired the amazingly colorful temple building. We watched as many people gave trays overflowing with flowers and fruit to shirtless men in fabric wraps who appeared to be the only ones allowed in the main temple room. We took many snapshots in our minds (and actually stole a few irreverent shots from across the street).

We took the skytrain back to the river boat pier after this and headed "home" for some rest.

We found an Israeli restaurant for dinner. That's right, Israeli. Not only is there an Israeli restaurant in Bangkok, but there are TWO right next door to each other, with a THIRD (a Chabad House) about a block away! Thank goodness for all those travelling Israelis!!! This was the first Israeli food we've had since being in Israel 6 years ago, and it was yummerific! Chicken Shwarma, Falafel, tomato/cuke salad, hummus and pita. Kerry had her regular mixed-fruit shake and Adrian his beer. We went to bed satisfied.

That was Saturday.

Today, Sunday, we woke up early again and were carted off in a minivan full of other tourists to the "famous" floating market in Damnoen Saduak. It was a complete tourist racket, but there was good food to be had (something you can always count on in this country) and many photos to be taken.

After arriving back home in the early afternoon we took off for more sighseeing in the city. This time we went to Chinatown. We took the river boat ferry again (this is becoming our favorite mode of traveling. No stress, no exhuast and it's fast!) and then we walked off the map up and down small alleyway markets. There were no other tourists around and we had many visual and tastebud treats, along with a few unsavory ones. We got some fancy jasmine tea from a bulk tea stand next to some grilled pig snouts and fried innards and also indulged in some dehydrated sugared Kiwi slices next to some other mysterious steamed and fried meat products. Tantalizing and repulsive all at once! We spent alot of time wandering around here before heading home for rest time.

On the menu for dinner was the spiciest mouth-blastingest curry along with many iced beverages to cool our mouths.

We have photos of it all!

Tomorrow is our last day here. We feel equally excited to come home and sad to leave. But first, one more day of adventuring, photos and tastbud treats.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

i love that you paid your respects to the many phallus (phalli?) sculptures. too funny. and the exhaust in the face made me laugh. see you lovelies soon!

  jen Dec 25, 2006 4:23 AM

2

Hi,

I can't believe it. I read all your sharings and it is
today, christmas day, early on dec. 25th and you are still in thailand and yet you are on your way home.
wow! you write and create pictures in my mind and
on my tastebuds. I can't wait to go!!! what a joy
to hear of your adventures.

Travelling mercies,
love, mom/deanna

  mom/deanna Dec 25, 2006 9:04 PM

About madrone


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.