Existing Member?

Possibilities, Chance and Action

Theatre Madrasa,Unique Performance Research Center

TURKEY | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [396] | Scholarship Entry

It's easy to arrive in Selçuk.
The famous Ephesus is just behind the corner there. Get to Selçuk bus station. If you'll manage to survive the man who's trying to offer you a new bus ride, the man who's trying to sell you the cheapest pension in the range of kilometres, and the tourist who' s trying to sell you his company to have a walk together until Ephesus, then, maybe, you'll be able to experience something “local”.
Stop at Homero's Pansion, and let their staff make you forget about the meaning of the word "homesick", since they'll be your new family as long as you want,
Get back to the bus station, survive the new men with the same ol' good purposes, and get a dolmus to Sirince.
Rush through th stalls, and reach the top of the village. Rejoice as the tourists diminish, and local people starts to look at you as something ACTUALLY different from what they usually see around there.
Search a nice viewpoint. Look down the main road. See the old greek-styled theathre over there? Of cours you don't, it's behind the mountain.
Rush down again. While you do, ask everyone information about how to reach Tyiatro Medresesi (Theatre Madrasa, but no one will spell like this around there).
Rejoice again as you realise very few people know what you're talking about, as you're about to encounter a place so radicated in the territory in wich they work, that the people from the area that leaned over tourism in the last year don't know anything about it.
Discover the little dusty road that leads to the little dusty “Medresesi” sign.
Accept a lift from a couple riding a small until the first crossroad. Meet a shepherd there. Discover that he talks a perfect english, since he was the owner of a youth hostel in Selçuk.
Let him guide you to the Theatre.
What will you discover there?
Should I tell you about the Istanbul Theatre company that moved there, working the last three years transforming a decrepit amphitheater in a the first performing art research centre in Turkey?
Should I tell you about their original plan with an Armenian architecht, now emprisoned 'cause the Turkish consitution is so badly updated that legally doesn't concieve these kind of structures?
Should I tell you about the amount of cultural, artistic, social and political infos you can get from the people of Madrasa?
No, I couldn't. I can just show you the road.
But they can: travel to Madrasa and learn why a lot of people say that the Turkish people are usually the real main characters of a Turkish trip.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About madrasa

Badass Walkin' in Sirince

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.