Existing Member?

Falling forwards, one step at a time

The man who went up a hill and came down a...hill

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 3 June 2014 | Views [331]

Sunday 1st June 2014

Today was the result of one of my impulse decisions, a process that always seems to bear fruit. Late last night while pontificating about the need to "get some good healthy air in my lungs", while gulping down copious beers at our local, I purchased some tickets to Edinburgh to join a friend who was heading up there.

I realise that Edinburgh has numerous attractions, so I know it will be impossible to do it justice in one article alone, so this is primarily about Arthur's seat. The highest point in Edinburgh. Which dissappointingly is neither a large mountainous carved seat such as the one for abraham lincoln in washinton DC or even have a seat there.

I got off the train in Edinburgh to meet my friend Colin, who had dressed himself as a 19th century explorer. Off we went, marching towards our mighty adversary. When we approached Arthur's seat a low brooding dark cloud was above us, but as we started to walk up it's grassy, rubbley path a slim gleam of clear sky broke open and within minutes we were basking in the sunlight.

The ascent was more challenging than I thought would be, partly due to my hangover but none the less, not one to be undertaken with elderly family members if you wish to get to the peak. The view of Edinburgh on the way up is unparralleled. The landscape on Arthur's seat shows how wild scotland is, great peaks of rock face cracking out of the tussocks, with eager climbers chalking up the rock face. It almost feels as if you have stepped into the set of 'lord of the rings'.

The final part of the walk turns more into a scrabble up the sheer side of the hill, partly due to our choice of route, but thats half of the fun anyway. Suddenly we crest a ridge and we're looking directly at the marker on the top of the hill. Here we stand on the marker letting the strong winds dry the sweat from the walk. Edinburgh is lucky to have such a pleasant reminder of nature within the city, not many cities have that sort of link.

On our descent we stopped off at the ruins of a priory for a climbing and photo oppertuinity that couldn't be missed. I'll post them once the film is developed.

Anyway that is my very delayed, very brief summary of arthurs seat.

 

My very good friend Colin Wan is raising money for help for heroes via lots of fundraising activitys culminating in a hike to everest base camp, if you are feeling generous please donate to my 19th century explorer Colin

www.bmycharity.com/colinvseverest

Tags: arthurs seat, scotland, the big lebowski bar

About madocflynn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.