Existing Member?

Extraordinary people doing extraordinary things

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 1 April 2012 | Views [377] | Scholarship Entry

You get to know yourself more as you walk away from the place where you once stood...

I'm just your average ordinary kid, but one day, I was given the chance of a lifetime. I was asked to enter a social enterprise competition entitled, "I am a Changemaker" sponsored by the British Council that was to be held in Cebu. Social Enterprises are businesses that aim to make profit while saving the environment or helping people in need. I was tasked to render the best of my abilities in order to help Ms. Crisel Apaya and her business, Ecovibes, to win the said competition. Ecovibes uses discarded and used garments and turn them into fashionable new RTW clothes. By doing this, Ecovibes lessen the carbon footprint from manufacturing clothes and plastic, the accumulation of both in landfills, educate people regarding these issues and provide employment to poor families. I was so excited because aside from my love for traveling, it was my first time to take part in a national competition, to ride an airplane, and i get to do all of that with my best friend, my mentor, my rival and a new friend. "Extraordinary people doing extraordinary things" The quote came from Tommy Hutchinson, one of our mentors in the competition. Extraordinary people doing extraordinary things, truly what I got from Cebu. I got to meet extraordinary people who were extremely gifted and fueled with their passion to do what they love and at the same time help other people. As I got to know these people, it was not just their abilities, passion or noble causes that made them extraordinary but it was also their personalities, their core and who they are will truly amaze you. I had fun and loved Cebu, not because it was a traveler's paradise, but it was because of the people I got to meet; from the mentors, to our fellow changemakers, right down to the hotel staff. From an ordinary kid to a changemaker; the knowledge gained, the bonds that were formed and the moments we shared I will forever treasure.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About mac_ero


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.