Existing Member?

Flown North for the Winter Taken off to Canada for five months to prove that wherever you go...there you are.

Sydney to San Francisco

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 1 September 2008 | Views [470]

I'm in Calgary, been here for a few days...a chilly 5 degrees outside and been drizzling all day. It's not exactly comfort weather, but it's nice as hell being inside and out of it all. As for where my head is at, it's still really struggling with the whole concept of time. This entry will be structured very poorly, so it will take some time to make sense of things. I mean, this is a postmodern recount of the last few days Citizen Kane style.

So I flew from Sydney to San Francisco...arrived in unexpected 34 degree heat, but was prepared for a Calgary night. Ended up leaving the airport and strolling in a singlet, with my jeans rolled up to my knees and shirts tucked into my pocket. Keep in mind it was 4am local time and I had zero sleep. So...from here I went down to Haight and Ashbury, a semi-famous intersection of streets which birthed the Summer of Love in San Francisco...read: Jefferson Airplane, Hendrix and Marley being played continuously in absolutely every shop I went into. After a good solid couple of hours of getting myself lost (and occasionally found) I managed to find a brewery loose enough on the legal drinking age to serve me some pretty phenomenal Draught beers which had been aged in old bourban barrels. From there I strolled forth, realised the oversized steak sandwhich hadn't quite hit the spot, and had lunch with a homeless guy by the name of Jerry at a taco place.

From here; tired as hell from two pints, a meal and an extensive chat about drugs and the government with Jerry, I strolled down to the Golden Gate Park for a nap in the sun...which lasted all of a half hour before I was woken up and offered weed. The Golden Gate Park was strange...had a bit of a festival atmosphere, little groups of people playing music, drinking beer in the sun, smoking assorted goods and generally being a helluva lot more social than what I thought would be the real America. The events from there involved lengthy discussions about a commune that pays for work with dope before I decided I best find my way towards a train station to get back to the airport. I chose the Civic Centre...which nobody told me was a complete shithole. There, I was continuously asked for money, faced with strip clubs, porn stores and fast food outlets. So I left there pretty quick...not before being asked back to a blatantly homeless man's place for a cup of coffee before my flight...but I appreciated the offer.

So now I'm in Calgary. Arrived on a pretty cosy night. The guy who picked me up from the airport was wearing shorts and a very nice, chatty Canadian guy from the Science department at uni. Got dropped off to Nikki's where we discussed the best strategy to beat jetlag...which failed, because we ended up staying up late talking instead, waking up at 7am, realising I was still an absolute wreck and then sleeping for most of the day. Unfortunately, it's now cooled and I'm ready for bed way too early...but Nikki and I are making curry in a minute, of which I'm deferring by typing too much, so I'll draw this to a close.

I'm not gonna lie...I don't really miss anyone yet. Granted, it's only been a few days, but still, I figure it's always nice to be missed though...so apologies for having a good time. Having Nikki here is a pretty good way to not get lonely as well, so I'm sure you can blame her to an extent.

Anyway, I'm off. I'll keep in touch if something interesting happens and try to avoid the whole 'and then I did this' writing style which is bland as hell.

Love and shit,

Max

Tags: san francisco

About m-easton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.