Existing Member?

Scholarship Application

The U.C.

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [69] | Scholarship Entry

We pull into a dark parking lot, car bouncing around in the minefield of pot holes. We step out of our car, legs stiff from the nearly two hour drive to Jacksonville, FL. After a quick stretch we all look each other over, checking our outfits. We head towards the large staircase leading to the second floor, nudging you, I point.

“Careful on these. They’ve been known take people out who’ve had too much to drink.”

Your face contorts into a mix of concern as you stare up at them.

“Hey, let’s go!” I yell down from the top, having left you to catch up.

You make your way up and I lead you in the entrance to “The University Center” known colloquially as “The U.C.” We hand our IDs and money to the bouncer and cashier and step out into the club itself.

“Follow me!” I shout. The music is loud and already starting to deafen our senses. I lead you out to the balcony where people are sitting, some smoking, and most with a drink in hand.

“This is the perfect spot to relax once you get worn out on the dance floor. It’s usually pretty tough to get a spot up here, but the seats down there aren’t too bad.” I nod towards the tiny stage at the far end of the building. “You’re in for a treat, Friday night is Drag Show Night. We always make the drive just for this. It gets unbelievably packed in here.

“Y’all just gonna’ talk or we drinking?” My friend hollers at us.

“Come on, let’s hit the bar then get to dancing.”

We head down another set of stairs, the less infamous ones, and grab a few drinks at the bar. “They’re usually pretty good, but like most places kind of expensive.”

The music begins to pick up and we head out to the floor with our group and the rest of the patrons. “This is what this place is all about. It’s about feeling the flow of the music and the pulse of the crowd. This place is filled with people who’ve come here for years and all those kids who need a place to go and visit with the community. By far this is the best LGBTQ club for hours in every direction.”

The music begins to slow after some time and the lights focus on the stage, drag show just beginning. It goes as wonderfully as always, high-end and energetic performances highlighting the night.

As the lights go up and the music down, we head outside and into the parking lot. I slip on the last few steps, landing on my butt. “I told you those can be a real pain. Ow... Well, let’s go get some fresh made Krispy Kreme and Whataburger. You can’t end a night at the U.C. without those!”

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lyte


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.