Existing Member?

My journey, my story.

Take courage.

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [77] | Scholarship Entry

"The world is not how you imagine it to be..." were the words echoed through the mouth of my loving father. All he wanted was to show me how diverse the "outside" world was, in comparison to my little world of rainbows and unicorns that I was raised in.
There I was, slouched in the sofa of my living room and bursting into tears with no definite reason but I can certainly vouch on that one thing that triggered it- I was going to the UK to further my studies. No one in their right mind will start sobbing at the thought of that, and I was probably the only one. Never did any thoughts of traveling over 6,000 miles alone to a foreign land ever crossed those brain cells of mine.
I wasn't prepared. At all.
I started counting down to the days left in Singapore, time crawled (no, raced) to a new day everyday, and I was racing with time. But it was a worthwhile race to spend it with my loved ones and I enjoyed every single bit of it till the day came. There, I stood disconsolate with my massive brightly tainted red luggage weighing over 30kg (what an irony), crying my eyes out as I bid farewell to the 40-odd people that came to see me off (for that I am so thankful for). Tears kept trickling down my cheers even when I was all buckled up and ready for take off. "The couple beside me must be thinking I'm crazy" were the only thoughts that came to mind. After close to over 20 hours of traveling, I am in the UK, all ready to embark on my journey.
It has been about eight months now, and I am writing my story. No one ever said it was going to be easy, but no one also said it was going to be that difficult. Sheffield is a part of me now.
So how did I end up here?
It was courage (that I truly thank God for), and courage that saw me through those daunting assignments of going up to random people on the streets asking them about dog's waste, entering the football stadium to interview a band whilst "battling" with the drunkards there or even cycling around Amsterdam and stopping every pedal of the way not only to ask for directions, but to get use to tall bikes.
I took the prodigious leap of faith eight months ago, and I am still doing so as I pen the story of my life.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About lynnweee


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.