Existing Member?

South Sudan

Christmas Sth Sudan

SUDAN | Wednesday, 28 December 2011 | Views [724]

Christmas in south sudan for me was very lovely especially in 96 degree heat.. Lots more about why God sent Jesus to earth and much less materialism compared to UK and much more relaxing even though the price of chicken here is so high the same money worries we all might have happen here and all over the world..  A 3 hour not boring church service filled with the voices of children and youth praising God. Also for Christmas dinner a bunch of people who were far from home and families got together and appreciated the global message. We had 9 nationalities and nine dishes plus the obligatory coke or pepsi from the UN. It was special as well because we had a young girl poss 18/19 from Sth Sudan but a different town who thought she was going to be very sad and lonely but instead felt blessed by being surrounded by loving caring foreigners. Since then it has been a round of dinner and party invitations mostly held in tukles (mud huts) and under the mango trees. This ‘under the mango tree’ is such a way of life as we enjoy the shade and the breeze. I love the music but the speeches are difficult as my Arabic is so limited and i’m slow to learn. People do throw in the odd sentence in English though and sometimes kind people interpret but usually the sound systems are so loud i can’t hear the interpreter. So here i am trying to look interested not only to the speaker but to the interpreter neither of which i understand. I am still greatly enjoying the hospitality though even if i do feel a little awkward at being an (to me undeserved) honoured guest, seated with the important people. If it wasn’t for Jesus insisting on washing my feet I’m not sure i’d enjoy myself at all and people here do enjoy honouring people so it is my duty to go along with it. We have another party this afternoon with the honourable?(commissioner). I love it.

I also prepared my first sermon today for the English service on 1/1/12 at the cathedral. Another place where I am totally undeserving to be but aren’t we all? I’m talking about one body in Christ Jesus and how it’s all coming together in God’s plan for his victory which he has already won. Mind-bending, to begin with.

What i have learned is people are the same the world over. Most people are good and kind but wherever you are there are thieves and dogs that bite. So be careful. I Love you but not as much as He does.

 

About lynn923

The houses are primitive the people are sophisticated

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sudan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.