Existing Member?

South Sudan

Maridi

SUDAN | Saturday, 3 December 2011 | Views [584]

South Sudan is a wonderful place. It is the newest country on earth as it was only registered as The Republic of South Sudan in July 2011. Before that it was part of Sudan and there were many troubles. Sudan is to the North. He north is mainly muslim and there is still a lot of fighting as different tribes fight for control. Some have got together and formed a new group. They are organising themselves like the Libyan Transitional Council did before gadaffi was killed........The north is where Darfur is with its massive refugee camps and where many people are starving due to lack of good governance. Not due to lack of money as far as i can tell. South Sudan is very different and full of hope. Here we are 98% Christian. The people have found their voice and are no longer prepared to put up with corruption and/or ineptitude. We are getting a new commissioner here in Maridi. We do not yet have a bank or a post office but they are on the way, which is great because the mission air co that brought me here is in dispute with the immigration dept. who says they are to land at Juba, the capital, every trip putting an extra £2000 on to every return flight. So at the moment i do not have an address. There is a post office opening in a town just up north and when it does we will use that for the interim. I’m quite looking forward to the trip.

Temperature in Maridi dry season which we have just entered is 62 morning and evening rising to 100 mid day. I love it. I am not getting a suntan, Shoulders and upper arms and knees have to be covered for modesty. I don’t really mind. Its too hot to sunbathe,

My work in the nursery is going well. The children are as cute as cute can be and love the all singing all dancing action songs they are learning. The Mothers Union group where I teach English has grown to 27. English is a vital tool in this newly emerging country as the govt has decided all business is to be conducted in English. I’ve no idea why as most tribes already speak Sth Sudan Arabic, which is more than adequate. I am learning it. albeit vey very slowly.

My new house is getting a tarpaulin ceiling. I think Trisha thinks I’m struggling with the bugs. But I’m really not. I did ask this morning if the ants trailing up one of the inner strets of the roof, in their millions, were any threat, which they weren’t and I think she may have noticed my hacking cough due to the inordinate amounts of bug spray I’m using but i think I’m coping really well...considering...I am so thankful that God prepared me for this journey by allowing my daughter, Georgina, lizards as pets that were fed live crickets. Because if she didn’t I would not have coped. They are the ugliest, springiest noisiest things but I don’t have to get them out the room before I can sleep.  Trisha just has a very generous Spirit.

Tomorrow is World Aids day and I’m pleased to say there is a big party in the town to announce it. The schools are closed and most people will be in attendance. We should all get T-shirts given as well. I love the fact that here most t-shirts have profound messages rather than just wise crack. Such as ‘send your children to school’ or ‘End the stigma of Leprosy’

Ah well you can pray for me to give up smoking as I’m a very bad example of a saved Christian here. The Anglican Church is very stiff upper lipped. Although sometimes I think God keeps me as a poor example so people can say to themselves “well if she can be a Christian so can I”  J and it’s true. He loves us just the way we are......

About lynn923

The houses are primitive the people are sophisticated

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sudan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.