Existing Member?

South Sudan

Kampala 2nd day

UGANDA | Monday, 14 November 2011 | Views [439]

ok 3rd attempt to update this journal..don't wait the 60 mins it tells you it's timing out after 30.

Had tha most amazing blessed day. I'm staying at the Christian Namirembe guest house high on a hill in old Kampala. The view covers the whole of kampala and is to die for both night and day. There is good security here and I feel safe sleeping at night. I took the 5 min walk up to St Pauls cathedral and really enjoyed the service. I came back to the guest house where the women were holding their own service and sat, listening to that enjoying the view. Richard from logistics (?!) came and we had lunch of plantains, pumpkin, rice and beef stew. He is a great enpowerer for the people and told me how to set up primary schools. I hope that info comes in handy one day. After lunch we walked down to the shops. The sights of whole families hiring one motorbike taxi is a sight to behold.I unfortunately found a garage that sold cigarettes so the giving up thing is on hold til i get to Sth sudan but hey I've experienced Ugandan cigs called sports and they're not half bad..like a mild gallois...I walked back on my own as richard jumped in the bus that nearly ran us over and I was pleased to be walking in kampal tout sol. (although not really as my god is with me so who can be against me. i have never known so little fear.

Had dinner tonight on the restaurant veranda. there's a party going on in the cafe and African music was playing loudly but not too loudly in the background. I was invited to share a table with Larry from Charlotte NTH Carolina. I asked him if he knew my friends Tanya and Zac Mapes who live there but he didn't, unsurprisingly. He's a construction worker for an organisation who builds churches for the deaf. He also writes tribal languages down and then translates the Holy Bible into that language. How amazing is that?

I left, deliberatly walking past the African music party when I phoned Georgie my youngest, who is on a mission with Youth for Christ in Bath SW England, so she could hear what;s it's like where i am. i think my daughters are amazing letting me come on this mission trip. They are only 17 and 20 and I'm so grateful to them.

Now i have to get ready for my trip to the Sth Sudanese embassy tomorrow and pray they give me a visa. I really want to join my friend Trisha in Sth Sudan More of whom to come...night all  God Bless You.

Tags: kampala

 

About lynn923

The houses are primitive the people are sophisticated

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.