Existing Member?

Discount Traveler

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 8 April 2012 | Views [629] | Scholarship Entry

What's the importance of giving back on the road? What does that really mean to you? As a traveler, I consider myself blessed not because I am privileged to travel around but courageous to decide and just do it.

Most people think traveling is a privilege and needs more money to do it, depriving themselves a lot of possibilities and knowledge to gain along the way. With that opportunity, I believe it is nice to give back something on the road. How? As we travel, we get to see different places, face different culture and traditions, meet people, and experience amazing things we never thought we could. It opens our mind that there are more things than what we used to see, what we used to live with, there are more than what we thought we already know.

Traveling makes you understand that no matter how different our race, our place, our culture, and way of living, we are all the same. We all have our needs to survive, we all have emotions to feel, and dreams that is waiting to become a reality. For people who have no enough resources to make life easier, needs more effort for them to achieve it, and I believe as a traveler who is there to witness or have the opportunity to do something to help those people is one great way to give back on the road. It will inspire them to strive and not lose hope to make their dreams come true.

More often than not, we are bound by beliefs we grew up with, sometimes, wrong conditioning which molds our perception, and that perception becomes our reality. This is why it is important to give back on the road, share what you have learned, inspire people that they can turn all the negative things around them into something better with careful choices. I am not saying I know everything, but the fact that we are learning and that knowledge is helpful to us, it is not bad to share them to people. It may not work exactly how it worked the first time but it will at least guide them on the next step they will make for their journey.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About lyndsay


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.