Existing Member?

Adventure

Gustuko Chicken Adoboe

PHILIPPINES | Tuesday, 14 April 2009 | Views [335]

5 years ago I'd have been tearing out my hair, worrying myself sick about my flight itinerary which hadn't come through the day before my scheduled departure to Manila.  I'd have been spitting chips that I didn't know what to do once I got there and I'd have been somewhat dismayed that I didn't know how much I was getting paid for even going in the first place. 

As it happens I'm quite a bit more relaxed about travel now.  I like bumpy plane rides, interesting customs experiences and pitching up to a job that your not entirely clear about. 

The Philippines is certainly an interesting place to work and travel in.  Lex and I arrived on the Saturday night to the pollution and peak hour traffic grateful to our long-suffering friend Ed who, with his contact Oscar, saw us through the airport and immigration in 5mins flat.  As many of you know, the Filipinos march on their stomaches and so our first stop was a local restaurant where we ate Sissig (shaved porks face), Fish, kebab, rice and more rice.  Delicious!!

The week of teaching was intense and draining but equally good fun.  I think I might have got more out of it than the students who often just looked patiently at me as if to say "now if I could just understand your accent I'd be fine".  As usual they told me I looked like one Hollywood actress or another which amuses me no end.

I find them to be such a sweet race of people on the whole.  I never feel threatened when out on the street and am quite comfortable sparking up conversation with locals.  They are only too happy to share their stories and meals with you.

On the weekend Ed and his family took us to Mount Makiling where we enjoyed a pleasant stroll up the mountain to the sulphurous mud pools.  The on the way down the mountain we drank green coconut juice and yaked about Dungeons and Dragons.  Apparently I would make a good cleric.....

On the Sunday we met up with Xaviour who I had learnt the weekend beforehand was also going to be in Manila.  Although I'd only known him from a couple of shifts we worked together it was great to catch up in a foreign country.  We had a pleasant afternoon strolling around the Roxas strip and visiting the cultural centre (which is just a big cement building which cost the Marcos regime a fortune in funds and popularity).


We headed back to Oz after a further week of somewhat hectic meetings and dental proceedures.  Looking forward to the Beef Tapa and Chicken Adoboe again!!

 

About lyds


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.