Existing Member?

Wanderlust: Finding my Way

Off the Beaten Path: Croatia's Hidden Gem

CROATIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [225] | Scholarship Entry

It's hard to experience serendipitous moments when travelling by cruise ship. While the ever-available food and easy transportation is nice, the strict schedules, numbered name-tags, and guided groups of hundreds of tourists can take those cherished moments of discovery away from travelling. I started my stop in Dubrovnik, Croatia planning to do what I had done for the entire cruise: follow the tour guide, stay with group, and see the major landmarks of the city. But that day, I broke my routine.
I spotted an arrow-shaped sign tacked to the wall proclaiming that if I just followed it, I would witness the World’s Best View. Sceptical, but curious, something compelled me to follow the simple wooden sign. I followed it away from the tour guide lecturing about the supposed throat-healing powers of some saint and climbed up a winding, cobblestone stairway. At the landing I saw a cat slinking into a local’s home and another sign pointing me even further away from the group. After a moment’s hesitation, I committed to the adventure promised by the signs.
Several arrows later, I found myself facing a twenty-foot tall stone wall with a little door. The square sign above it told me this literal hole-in-the-wall was my final destination. Bracing myself for the inevitable disappointment that comes from things that claim to be ‘World’s Best,’ I ducked into the door.
I walked into a cliff-side bar that over looked the bluest ocean I have ever seen. I sunk into one of the wooden patio chairs perched on the cliff and gazed in awe at the bright sunlight reflected in the endless sea. I ordered an ice cold beer and basked in the natural beauty. For once, the title was accurate.
Away from the bustle of the city and the tours, I could hear the waves wash up on the side of the cliff and the bar staff’s chatter in the local language. A moment like this of pure enjoyment and bliss reminds me why I love travel so much. It helps me restore my childhood sense of wonder and reminds me of all the beautiful, different things there are to experience in this world.
After a few moments of bliss, I realized the time. I settled my check after some confusion about the local currency and made my way back down the cobblestone pathway towards my tour group. They had moved only a few feet to another building. I slipped into the back of the crowd and smiled to myself thinking of the indescribable beauty I experienced by trusting my gut and following the sign.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lydiatheban


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.