Existing Member?

Lucy´s Traveling Stories

Crossroad

HUNGARY | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [243] | Scholarship Entry

Crossroads, where decisions are made. Decisions that can turn that exact moment from a normal experience to the most amazing thing you have done.
We were a large group walking down to the Danube River, right in the middle of Budapest when we reached the crossroad of Margitsziget's bridge. One way led to the side of Pest where the night life takes place and the other one was a path beside the river where the Parliament might be seen with all of its lights as a jewel reflected on the water. So we, young people from different nations, friends from three days ago, had to make a call. We split and chose our own way. As I had been the night before getting to know the night life style I decided to go by the river and see what stands beyond that beautiful building that I've been seeing since my arrival. We started walking by this movie-like river side which had old street lamps, trees and flowers aside feeling the cool air on the face and hearing people talking in Hungarian and other east European languages. As we passed the Parliament everyone took pictures, a couple selfies were made but the curiosity of exploring more was still there. I still don't know how we turned and walked a couple of streets and stairways, some of them very little and old, others quite big, all the way up until we reached Buda's Castle. The structure was so antique and magnificent I was amazed by the discovery we made. Impressed by the size, its very own style and the view it offered I was shocked on how lucky I was to have this experience in company of five amazing people, feeling like a part of a global world by knowing that I'm home in a different unique way. I noticed how a small decision can take you all the way up and make your life's point of view change without giving a thought on "what if...”. After admiring such a beautiful old city (and taking pictures and selfies again) we set our spirits free by making an energizer called Big Fat Pony just right there among the castle, the church and the statue of St. Stephen. When a while passed, we walked down in a different direction expecting to find something else. We were tired and thirsty and as we saw a little pub we could not resist. It was related to the Oscar's and had a lot of movie posters and golden statues. There we had a drink, played some rounds of "Never have I ever" and had a lot of fun with it. At last we had no clue where were we but somehow we managed to go back home, which was actually the city's Youth Centre.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About luzgorraez


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.