Existing Member?

Time Freezing Moments

The Pleasure of Feeling Lost

FRANCE | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [168] | Scholarship Entry

Here I am sitting at the edge of the pontoon, in a deserted beach in a private island. But how did I end up in here?
This story begins at the start of the summer season of exams in my university, with a constant urge inside of me of leaving everything behind. All I needed was one phone call to a distant cousin I only met once almost ten years ago. Next day he calls me back, telling me to pack my bags and book a flight; he found a job for me in the island! The following night I meet with my closest college friends to tell them that I am leaving. No one understands this sudden decision, some tell me I'm crazy, I don't even know what I'm going to do, how much I'm getting paid, I'm going to miss the exams! Others envy my decision and also feel like getting away from everything, but I'm not waiting for anyone, I'm not going to look back.
At the 1st of July I'm inside an airplane for the first time in my life. I'm 21 years old, all by myself and wondering what will happen next. Why am I doing this? What's my work going to be? How is my boss? Am I going to struggle with the language? I was scared, and that kind of fear made me feel excited. It's the fear of the unknown, accepting that we are out of control.
I fly through Marseille to Figari's airport, and after I meet my cousin he tells me that we are going to another island, a private and smaller island. After talking to him along the way, I find out that there are only one hundred houses, one shop, one hotel and one restaurant in the whole island. I'm going to be working for a Italian family, I will have to do everything, and I' don't need to worry about my salary. I reach my room, put down my backpack, sit down and think: "I am completely Lost..."
After two weeks of adjustment, I find my rhythm. My mind is racing, I have to think and prepare everything: set the table, appetizers, ice for the champagne, towels, pick up guests at the heliport. I have a small break after lunch to rest during the day. Sometimes I take a nap or do some jogging. Others I go to beach next to the house where I work, and I enjoy the heavenly hot Mediterranean water and sit at the edge of the pontoon. I look around and think: "How the hell did I end up here? Who is responsible for all this decisions? Is it me or is someone else driving this bus?"
After this summer I would never be the same, there is this wicked pleasure of feeling completely Lost. All my life was changed by one random decision, and I was never going back.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About lusi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.