Existing Member?

Wild Trail Tales

My Wild Trails part 2

ZAMBIA | Thursday, 13 October 2011 | Views [649]

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} Normal 0 false false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

Wild Trails Tales at Chinyungu Hot Springs in Chongwe District, Lusaka, Zambia, Central Africa


Chinyungu Hot Springs are found in Chongwe District on the eastern part of Lusaka Town about 5km from the Central Business District.The local people the Soli, call it Kalungula which literally means getting burnt. This is because the water is so hot that one can boil an egg or a cob of maize.The water from the hot spring has a strong pungent smell to show the presence sulphur content.

Kalungula Hot Springs were discovered in 1928 by Chief Bunda of the Liamina family from the Soli Village, Chamifwi.

 

people were restricted from going there because it was believed that they would mysteriously disappear. Other myths surrounding the hot springs are the presence of a mermaid.

An unnamed white man settled there and wanted to connect pipes (as can be seen in the photograph above) so that water would flow into his swimming pool. However this was not to be so because the pipes corroded at a very fast rate due to the high sulphur content in the water.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


                                                                                                                                                           

 

                                     The hot springs have thermal wells, where water comes out from the belly of the earth after being super- heated by a hot rock called magma. The water is believed to have medicinal properties. It can cure skin diseases, arthritis and rheumatism. Chinyungu also acts as tourist attraction for both local and international tourists. Local witch-doctors from the surrounding villages come to collect some water which is used to make magic portions.

Currently, a local developer is constructing some chalets to provide accommodation to the tourists.

Chinyungu Hot Springs have an unexploited economic potential of geo-thermal power generation. Although scientists from a Local Electricity Company, Zesco have made efforts of taking some samples for analysis from there, no follow-ups have been made.

Wild Trails Tales at Kalimba Reptile Farm, Lusaka, Zambia, Central Africa

Another exciting wild trail tale at Kalimba Reptile Farm. I spent a whole day with my pupils at the farm. While there the tour guide took round showed us different species of snakes, crocodiles and tortoises. 

 

 

Long snouted crocodile

Nile crocodiles aged 35years.It is used for breeding purposes

                            

 

 

Wild Trails Tales at Munda Wanga Environmental Park, Chilanga, Lusaka, Zambia, Central Africa

ANIMALS IN CAPTIVITY

 On the 19th of March, 2011, pupils who belong to a wildlife and environmental club, the Earth watch based at Rhodes Park School undertook an exciting tour to the Munda Wanga Environmental Park.

While there I discovered that a Zebra does not have a single dominant colour but two.

An interesting discovery, during the tour is that when a camel does not like you or is annoyed it will spit!

Suspicious Territorial Ostriches

Lonely mane less Lion

 

 

   

Spitting Camel

Caressing Zebras

 


            

They were so excited and almost breathless to see the animals. The fact that, most of them being born and bred in a city and the closest, anyone of them has ever been to a wild animal is…on television! Can you imagine that! Stranger than fiction if I might say, but it’s the absolute shocking true especially for an African child. This is not so sat that as Africans we leave with animals but the probability of seeing one is as certain as paying your taxes.

Below are some of the animals they were able to see at the park.

Greedy warthogs

                                   

 

 

Wild Trails Tales at Kariba North Bank Siavonga, Lusaka, Zambia, Central Africa 23 July, 2011.

UNEPLAINED PHENOMONON!

Stanger than fiction.But believe it on not!The crocodile shown below is believed to have found its way on the other side of the dam wall.How it found it way through the filters and passed through the penstocks and passed through the sharp blades of the propellers of the turbine.This is indeed an unexplained phenomenon.

 

 

About lusechella


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Zambia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.