Existing Member?

Let's go somewhere new.

Piccadilly's Circus.

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [171] | Scholarship Entry

No, that's not a typo in the title of this piece. I just needed a simple, clever title. But yes, we're about to discuss my love for Piccadilly Circus in England's phenomenal capital, London.

One of the best things to do in a city you're visiting is to sit or stand and stop in a popular hub (without being in the way of course) and see and feel how another part of the world flows and functions like it's a regular day for those who call it home.

Without doubt, there's somewhere like this in every city on the planet, the incredibly busy metropolis' of the world have more than one - London certainly has a few.

With the traffic maniacally weaving through the Circus, whether it's a typical black English taxi or the bright red of a double-decked bus (which in contrast to the usual grey skies and the stone coloured buildings behind creates a dream for photographers), and the bystanders sitting on the steps of Anthony Ashley Cooper's Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain which is in great condition, considering the number of tourists who would've used it as a pew since 1893 creates an atmosphere unlike anywhere else in London.

It begs to wonder if someone has counted, or at least found an average for the amount of people who are present in the Circus at once. With roads snaking off in four different directions, for many it is a daily thoroughfare who might strongly dislike the delay it adds to their transit yet to the contrary, those same people could be gazing through a double-decked bus window to a group of tourists who think the area is simply nothing like they've ever experienced before.

That last point in particular is (for mine) one of most significant facet of Piccadilly Circus' beauty.

Perhaps more significant though, is the possibility to see so many 'typically London' characteristics from ground level all by just looking straight ahead, then maybe to your left and right. You'd be unlucky not to spot a taxi, a bus, the English architecture, the weather and the busy-ness of one of the world's most populous cities.

Not to mention the stairs dipping below the Circus to the London Underground or the high chance of one of those red English phone-boxes, either.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lukesale


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.