Existing Member?

Encounters

Forced Solitude

USA | Tuesday, 27 February 2018 | Views [296]

As I looked at the sign that indicated the start of a section of the Pacific Crest Trail I could practically hear the Indiana Jones music. I could see my six months training unfolding into this big adventure, me and my fifty pound backpack, all alone in the wild, sleeping under the stars. I could picture the awed expressions and endless questions I would answer after my triumphant return, the book I would write, the carreer I would start. As usual, I pictured the end of the journey before taking my first step and I think it’s where it all went wrong.

            Like most people who decide to jump headfirst into danger and discomfort, I was bored. Bored with my repetitive work, with my lack of drive, with my past trips, with myself. I didn’t want to face the things I would have to do at home to change where my life was heading, so I decided to physically head somewhere else. The Pacific Crest Trail, a path that streches from the border of Mexico all the way to Canada seemed like a perfect destination.

            I didn’t have six months to attempt the entirety of it, so I picked a stretch I could do in one: from just below the south border of Washington back home to Canada. I trained for months before the big adventure. I was commited to this. It would be the spark that lit the fire of my new life. I was looking forward to being alone and having that burst of inspiration, of newfound love for life that these adventures give people in the books and movies I devour.

            The beauty and novelty of that first day soon gave way to the realization that I saw row after row of identical green trees for hours as I walked and walked and walked. This would be it, I would be doing exactly this for thirty days and all I would have for company would be my thoughts.

            I burst into tears. I cried for hours, cried until I had to stop for fear my blurry eyes would send me walking off a cliff. I sobbed into my hands, wiped my eyes still holding my walking sticks and realized, in that moment, that there is a very big difference between chosen and forced solitude. I had toned my legs, lost weight, prepared my body to carry that pack, but I hadn’t prepared my spirit to carry the crushing weight of the silence I once found so beautiful, the peace of the woods now more oppressive than anything I had ever faced.

            After two days I gave up. My body would have carried me to the moon and back, but the last thing I expected was that the scariest thing in those endless, beautiful woods would be my mind.

About luizasalazar


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.