Existing Member?

Temporary Celebrity

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry

BRAZIL | Monday, 31 January 2011 | Views [189] | Scholarship Entry

Are you European? Lacking in self confidence? Do you need an ego boost? Do you just want to be famous and have it all come easy?

I have an idea…

The plane touched down and a round of nervous applause spread through the cabin, congratulating the pilot on landing the budget aircraft successfully. Being cheap and scrounging the internet for the worlds most budget airline had (this time) paid off.

I had landed in Porto Alegre (Happy Port), a thriving town in the south of Brazil. Forget pristine beaches or stunning architecture to quote the only sentence in the lonely planet. “Not the most pretty town in the world, but you can pass a day or two looking at the museums.” Probably on a par with Iraq or North Korea then in terms of tourism flow. But here I am. Chin up Luke. What would Michael Palin say? Keep an open mind.

The very fact that Porto Alegre is so 'anti touristy' makes it also fantastic in terms of getting under skin of what it really means to be from Brazil (or indeed Latin American).

Since touch down in Porto Alegre I have walked into the welcoming arms of strangers, a beer put into my hand and told that their home is as good as my own.

This is really heart-warming stuff; no kidnapping, or robbing or hidden agenda as perhaps is more customary in other parts of Latin America. Just hearts of pure gold. The people of Porto Alegre have more spirit and warmth than in any good Disney film.

I have had whispers spread though a bar that I was English and an inquisitive crowd gather. I have been serenaded in Beatles songs (note to self: must learn the lyrics), and felt the intrigued stares of a room bury into my back.

“Luke, you know, If you are European here, people will treat you like a god. I’m not kidding, everyone here thinks its the coolest thing to be European.” Warned a close friend. At times I wish he had been exaggerating.

I have never had a table of 10 people stare and hang off my every word (even in broken Portuguese) nor have a room hush and buzz when I walk in. I lent over and asked my friend why?

“They all want to talk to you, but are nervous. You are like a celebrity.”

Sure its strange at first, but like diving into any fresh new environment or travel experience, you can adjust.

Sometimes you can find the most unlikely of experiences in the most improbable of places and temporary celebrity is an enjoyable first for me. It seems that we have exported though films, news and music an image of Europe that by far surpasses the reality.

So, why not take advantage? Pretend to be a celebrity?

Indulge, just for a while...

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About luckas


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.