Existing Member?

My travel photography 2011 scholarship entry

Why do I deserve it? not counting that I really, really want it.

SPAIN | Tuesday, 8 November 2011 | Views [596]

When I was 5, our family was invited to a wedding reception of a neighbour. We are Catholic, our neighbours Muslim, but in a country like India, that's no rare occurrence. I was the first to walk up the bridegroom and congratulate him and as is customary in our tradition, I planted a kiss on each cheek. It felt like the end of the world for 5 year old me, because this action was met with screeches from my mother, laughter from my sisters and palpable silence from the entire crowd.

It was my first lesson in diversity & over time, I've realized that it's a never-ending journey. This incident in turn made me more observant of the nuances of different cultures, while heightening the awareness, that beneath it all, we are the same.

Meandering through the myriad throng of cultures and subcultures that constitute India, I’ve learnt to respect opinions that do not concur with mine and have honed my instinct to identify situations and back off, when I’m stepping on another’s sensibilities. My eagerness to see the world has taken me to 3 continents and although I have managed to check several items off, my bucket list is ever-growing.

Although my tryst with photography began only a couple of years ago, it already feels like a lifetime. From being a shutterbug to growing to a state of conscious incompetence where I take time to compose, find the story and tell it through a few pixels, it’s been a long and arduous journey. However, the years have only served to whet the passion and child-like inquisitiveness to learn and better myself. This opportunity is my chance to bring my two loves – Photography & Travel, together.

Tags: cape town, jason edwards, kruger national park, myself, national geographic, photography, places, scholarship, scholarship, travel

About lucille


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.