Existing Member?

Endless Trip of a World Citizen

Unlikely night in a storybook scenery

FRANCE | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [102] | Scholarship Entry

It was the third day of our backpacking. Elias and I had left the astonishing Mont Saint-Michel to cross the landscapes of Basse-Normandie. Our bags were piled on the back seat and we didn't even realize it was after 9 PM when the sun hid behind us. We also hardly noticed the fuel warning sign – we would really need help.
After some deserted villages, we found a restaurant still open, right in Domfront entry. Pierick, this young truck driver (and implausible hero), surprisingly accepted joining us in the car and helping us to refill the tank. Nice guy!
On the way back, he showed us some incredible ruins and the Byzantine-style Église de Saint Julien. The candle lights smoothly reflected in the golden details of an immense fresco behind the altar – an unforgettable mystical experience.
Pierick then invited us to drink something in a pub nearby. We hesitated, but accepted. Our journey would still be long and if we did not find a place to sleep, we would have to do so in the car (just like the night before at the idyllic marina of Honfleur).
Behind a slim white door there was the Palais de Odin, at the front yard of the Palais of Justice. Christián and his wife were the owners. He was an eccentric guy and a Viking culture enthusiast - what justifies the pub's name and interior design. Knowing that we were Brazilian, he promptly served us a special cognac, as we talked in a funny mixture of languages. What a warm welcome!
Late at night, Christián warned us about the difficult to find hosting vacancies by that time, even in Le Mans, and surprised us: "You can sleep here." At the beginning, we believed it would happen in some of the rustic two-stored building rooms but, to our surprise, Christián called both of us out to the yard and presented what would be our free dorm that night: an old white trailer.
The narrow interior was dusty and it had no electricity. However, we grateful found comfort on the mat placed in the back. Before the rest, we started to review what had happened that day. Something incredible, no doubt! Of course, as we planned that trip, we knew that we should be ready for some surprises, but who could ever realize something like these outlandish events?
The next morning, we were the first customers of the Palais. The couple prepared us a coffee with some traditional croissants. Then we thank and said goodbye. Christián took his little daughter to school while we left that precious vintage ville to follow our way toward the City of Lights.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lucasmoura87


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.