Existing Member?

Trip of a lifetime

Taltal

CHILE | Saturday, 15 November 2014 | Views [528]

 

26 hours after leaving Santiago we arrive in Taltal.  The evening bus driver was going way over the speed limit and driving rather erratically so I didn't get a lot of sleep.  We arrived in Antofagasta at about 5am, an hour and a half late. I managed to get a Wifi signal to check my email as I was waiting to hear from the school about where to go when we arrived. Unfortunately he didn't answer my question so once again we're winging it. Our 2nd bus was 2 hours late and I thought it was supposed to 2 hours. After 3 we were getting worried. Are you seeing a theme here?  I finally saw a sign for Taltal and we came around a corner and the bus stopped above a very small town.  All we could really see was a bunch of tin roofs. I told Josh this was it and we got off the bus.  Fortunately the driver knew where we were going and he told us no, this not Taltal.  Thank heavens, I wondered what I'd gotten us into!  We continued on for another 1/2 hour and then pulled into a nice little town. Its located in the Atacama desert region which is the driest desert on earth, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Its actually on the ocean and it's like an oasis.  The town square is beautiful and green with trees, grass and flowers.  It's so strange because the backdrop is dry rocky hills with no vegetation.

We got off the bus and were just heading into the Internet next door when I heard my name. Thank God Hector was there to greet us. What a relief. I haven't bothered to get a Sim card for my phone and for the most part it hasn't been an issue but there's a couple times I could have used it. I have WiCall but the only time I've used it is to call my credit card company, unfortunately it's useless without a connection.  

We've settled into our hostel, which is so new its still under construction drywall dust and all.  I thought I left all that at home,  you just never know what you're going to get. Its nice enough though and we're the only ones here.  

We toured the town and then headed to the school to start work.  There are several classes for students from age 5 to mature adults. The first couple days were difficult but we're getting to know the students and them us so its getting easier and more enjoyable.  The guy that runs the school has done a lot of travelling and has lived in other countries.  Plus he's a teacher so he has lesson plans and ways of explaining things that make it easier for us.  He provides us with 1 meal a day which this week has been lunch. He cooks and provides meals to a few professionals and students in town so he cooks for us too.  Its been great, home cooking. He's a vegetarian so the food is pretty healthy too, although he does cook meat for his clients. Starting Sunday he will just provide food for breakfast and we'll be on our own.  It turns out Taltal is the most expensive city in Chile so eating out is out of the question. Here I thought I would save some money here.  Fat chance, 2 loads of laundry cost me $40!  

We work mostly late afternoon and evenings so our days are pretty much free.  It's pretty laid back here which is nice after all the hustle and bustle of the city but there's not a lot to do.  Hector has a lot of connections in town with the more well to do as their kids are in his school.  There are a number of small copper mines here so there are a number of well off people but the rest are pretty poor.   He would like to get more of the poorer kids in his school but right now its mostly more well to do.  There is class of younger adults that are all university trained and work as architects, engineers, even the town prosecutor.  They are all really nice and their English is really good.  They had a basketball game last night and Josh played. He scored the first basket but by halfway through he was wiped out.  I don't know the last time he got that much of a workout!

Through his connections we get the use of kayaks so were going tomorrow and next week we take a boat trip to penguin island. Finally I get to see my penguins!  They have pelicans here which I've never seen either and some other interesting birds.  

We plan to stay here another a week and then head to San Pedro.  A girl we met in Mendoza told us about the salt flats in Bolivia and apparently it's a must see so that's next up.  3 days in a jeep travelling through the driest place on earth.  Should be interesting.  

Well we got to go kayaking which was nice.  A couple students came with us.  The water was a bit wavy but nothing like what Kelly I have experienced on Sheridan Lake or on the river in Ladner.  Still no penguins, the trip was cancelled due to weather.  The navy are the ones that take you out and they get to decide if it's too rough.  It didn't seem bad at all so I suspect they just couldn't be bothered.  Oh well.  Apparently there are pengiuns in Ecuador so there's still hope.

The 2nd week was good, if very quiet.  The school was on strike and the kids were busy preparing for a telethon so we didn't have many students but it was a good experience anyway.  I'm learning more about English grammer which I'm sadly lacking knowledge in. The pre-teen girls wanted to work only with me so that was kind of cool.  Unfortunately I left my cap with the lifejacket when we went kayaking and Hector was not able to get the key in time so it got left behind.  I'm really upset, it's an expensive hat with UPF protection and really lightweight.  No chance of replacing here I'm afraid.  And now we're heading to the desert, wihout a hat, perfect!  Oh well, I will survive.  Off to no mans land. 

About lthom


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.