Existing Member?

loveadventures's journal

Day One- Iidabashi and Akihabara

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 15 June 2013 | Views [523]

Moomintroll Cafe-using food setting on camera.

Moomintroll Cafe-using food setting on camera.

This morning, we went to La Qua near Tokyo Dome so Jim and I could indulge Alan with what we just KNEW could well be the highlight of his trip- a visit to the Moomintroll Cafe and Bakery!!   It really was lovely and Alan was suitably appreciative. The merchandise was amusing, the bakery items were good and we enjoyed being in the cafe with the Moomintrolls and many Japanese mothers and their toddlers.   I have just realized that, except for the Moominpappa top-hatted waiter, Alan was the only man present.  We arrived early and the cafe had a queue of people outside when we left.  I guess it would be even busier on the weekends.

We looked around the periphery of Tokyo Dome and poked around in the official Tokyo Giants Supporters' Store.   It's a real pity a game is not on tomorrow.   We would have loved to go.

We walked, in very light summer rain, (almost like mist),to Koishikawa Korakuen.   it was very pleasant although it clearly would have been prettier if the sun had been shining and the ponds bluer. I think the iris did look particularly lovely because of the mist, though.   Parts of the garden were being renovated and hence we could not walk all around.   We saw a lady foraging for fruit under a tree, (decidedly NOT keeping off the grass).  She gave us a small apricot - "Ume" she said and mimed that we should eat it.   Then a man, who had been watching, gave us two larger fruit.  Jim was particularly happy to have his thesis, that ALL Japanese people are kind and friendly, so amply proven.

We negotiated the subway and went to Akihabara.  After a false start, (and it was getting very hot), we got to the Electric Town area.   Alan, in particular, had a lovely time browsing in one particular shop; 8 floors of computers and stuff.  Time really flew by for him.  We were fascinated by the very retro Akihabara Radio Center, which was as incomprehensible as an original Dick Smith's.  We went to Yodobashi Akiba- lots more electrical things and a great toy department.   I was very tempted by a particular marble race for work, but it was rather bulky.  I bought a couple of Japanese board books for a friend's baby.

We came home then, very tired.   We had a quick look in the Pokemon Center on our way back.  A couple of bread rolls from the Moomintroll Bakery and then we were asleep. 

About loveadventures


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.