Existing Member?

The experience of lifetime in Northern Uganda.

My Journey to Beautiful (The Pearl of Africa)

UGANDA | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [83] | Scholarship Entry

Uganda is known to the world as "The Pearl of Africa." I have come to know it to be much more than just a "pearl." A beautiful place to accessorize my passport was what Uganda had been to me in thought, but upon my departure, it had grown to be so much more. I will never forget the first time I realized the true meaning of a humanity that unites individuals across barriers of hardship, culture, and experiences. I was embarking on a 3-month journey of discovering what it meant to be a citizen and lover of the world. I would find this discovery through the beautiful place known as Uganda. I was twenty years old when I encountered an international war-devastated area. Uganda was not as far removed from the stages of recovery from a decade of war between the Lord's Resistance Army and the Ugandan Government. Ugandans were displaced from their homes. As I watched the many buildings in this great land stand brick-broken with tree trunks broken through the concrete floors, I began to weep and empathy shadowed over me. The stories of flaming schools, echoing gunshots, and screaming babies from the terror of night rides left me with a challenge to face hardship in any way I can. Uganda has proved itself to me to truly be the Pearl of Africa. Even through the people of Uganda have faced many hardships, they have continuously enriched themselves in their culture. It was their love of their country and culture that sustained them throughout the adversities that faced them. I can still recall the vibrant colors worn by dance groups such as the Mizzizzi Dance Troop. How could I forget after touring Northern Ugandan with the troop's picture onside of the van. The light green, red, and yellows always enticed the excitement of the children walking alongside the road. The people and it's music were all beautiful! The moments that I will cherish the most are the moments spent with my new friends who lived and experienced their country to be, through the pain and triumphs, all that they have! It was always impressed upon me that they loved The Pearl of Africa in a way that I would never understand. Hearing the liveliness of my friends after the long days of working in Hotel Kakanyero, Gulu University, and myself in the Bush under the hot sun made me realize that Uganda is a TRUE pearl! I will never forget the first time I realized that the heart of humanity is shown in how we all live within hardship, culture, and experiences. What a journey!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About love_life_light


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uganda

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.