Existing Member?

LoznLou´s adventures

Utila, Honduras

HONDURAS | Sunday, 4 April 2010 | Views [399]

Well we were both amped to get to a wee tropical island, and we had a blast! After a few buses and a boat we arrived on the island of Utila, where I (Lauren) needed to pick a place to sit my diving cert. Found an awsome place with lots of free bonus stuff and cool people and embarked on a few days of diving and snorkelling! Every day we went out on the boat with a local dude called Captain Cookie blasting the reggae and good vibes, jumping into the coral filled clear blue water was amazing. There were tons of tropical fish and we both saw a big eagle ray which is apparently quite a novelty. We learnt lots about diving stuff, made some great diving buddies, and loved missioning around this beautiful island which was a mixture of dense jungle and coral filled waters. Good times. We are now getting used to the local transport, and feeling alot more comfortable and confident getting around. The Hondurian ways seem very different to Guatemala, so far we have not seen much traditional culture as is in Guatemala, mainly because here is a huge mix of many different races, mainly Garifuna, Carribean, and Western. All makes for an interesting mix of people who overall are very friendly, and several times we have talked to locals who go out of their way to help us get where we want to go. Easter is huge here, so there are millions of army and police with big guns everywhere, which Im not sure if it makes us feel safer or more wary... We are now in a place on the Honduran Mainland called Trujillo, staying in a place that is actually owned by kiwis and frequented by lots of locals on holiday. We have made friends with some Hondurian people who are gonna take us on some adventures when we get further south. Yesterday a local dude took me for a mish on his motorbike to a beautiful beach on the side of the peninsula that we would have never known about, and climbed a coconut tree, so we could sit on the beach drinking fresh coconut. One of my life dreams! While we are here we are swimming lots, soaking up the relaxed carribean vibe, there is a shipwreak just offshore that we will check out, and just off the beach at night there are flourescent phosphorus that glow in the dark, Lou went swimming in amongst them last night. So yeah thats basically it, not moving fast, chilling, exploring, learning and smiling lots. Content. Hasta Luego!

About lounloz

Tulum Brach Mexico

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Honduras

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.