Existing Member?

The Sassy Wayfarer

Valuable life lessons from a prostitute

INDIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [509] | Scholarship Entry

At the young age of 23, when most people had sorted out how their lives should be, I was directionless. Unable to bear the torture at home, I decided to move out. With only `1500($25) in my pocket, I packed my bags and arrived at the Bangalore Railway Station.

The station was decently crowded. I sat on an empty bench and took a deep breath. I decided that I would board the next train, no matter where the destination would be. I was about to remove my backpack, a blue train started coming towards me. The train was going to MUMBAI…..

The train was partially empty. The ticket collector checked my ticket and was about to go to the next compartment. I took out my diary and a pen (which I always carry) to write about the journey till now. Suddenly, we both heard a voice: ‘Sir, is this train going to Mumbai……?

She was a young girl of 22 years. We soon got to talking and became the best of friends. She was a foodie, a passionate traveler and loved to read, like me. We shared many similarities. I told her about my childhood days, memories of my life so far. When she came to know about the dairy, she insisted that I write about her life, to be my remembrance of her. This is her story:

She was born in Mumbai. She was a young girl and full of life. But she always wondered why there were so many men around her house. Then she realized that she was born in a brothel. Her mother was a prostitute. But she had no father. When she asked her mom, she said prostitutes don’t have fathers. As they had no money she was pushed into prostitution. Her mother even tried to kill her one day. Then after many days, she mother had necrophilia (sexual attraction towards the dead). She killed her father too. So. This girl ran from home and came to Bangalore to start a new life. She joined an NGO and started learning to read and write. She is now a speaker and fights against child prostitution.

I learned a lot from her. Her patience, her determination to succeed, her ability to laugh at pain surprised me greatly. She was a self-made girl. We visited great places in Mumbai . Before saying goodbyes, she promised to be in touch. I returned to Bangalore as a positive man and things started looking up.

This is not just a travel story. This is a story of hope. This is story of never giving up. It is a story that changed me forever. It’s amazing how coincidences make us a better person. And no matter where she is and what she does, all I want to say, form my heart, is a big THANK YOU!!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lostwanderer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.