Existing Member?

Globetrotter: A fusion of Dreams, Love, and Laughs

The City of Lights & Dreams; London, I’m in Love!

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [120] | Scholarship Entry

The cool breeze of the city, the laughs and sobs of the people around, and the hustle and bustle of Heathrow International Airport surrounded the new comer me. Standing in the middle of the crowds, there I was, shedding a tear and never feeling so blessed to be where I had always dreamt to be, leaving millions of global citizens wanting to be the lucky me. All the past dreams, wishes, and hopes resounded in my head. ‘I am living my dream,’ I mumbled. The long haul flight was all paid by every step I made and every breath I took in this land of dreams. The claustrophobic I had for being in a plane for almost eighteen hours and which seemed like forever was instantly gone. Started that day, I promised to myself a watermelon smile would never ever vanish from my face. Although it was summer, London was still too cold for a tropical girl like me at that time. Armed with the only thin jacket I had, as I left Heathrow my desire to explore the city grew bigger than the cold weather which felt like a huge ice cube trying to block my way. This whole journey would never be real without the scholarship to study General English for nine weeks that I luckily got. Even if I worked my ass off and saved up my whole life for a trip to London, I would still not have enough money to go. I was blessed. ‘Looking curious little Miss over there!’ said a funny looking man clothed in typical London guards costume walking towards my seat as I sat by the window on the train looking at them. Hearing his thick British accent, I knew that I was not dreaming anymore and that it was all real. I smiled to him then slapped myself hard to once again make sure that I was not in my obsolete bed in Indonesia, dreaming.
Excited, I got off the train and continued using a tube to my designated homestay in a place named Woodford. I looked at the tube map and made sure that I was not lost. Within fifteen minutes, I already got in a quiet tube, sat near the door and just listened to some people talking about their lives. It would surely be my newest hobby in London to hear the English people talk with their thick accent.
My mind wandered around the journey I would soon experience. I was nervous and scared that I would not be able to speak English properly and understand what people were saying yet as a self-proclaimed Anglophile, I felt excited and was so eager to learn English from its origin. As I looked around, I saw a large 'WELCOME TO LONDON!' ad. I smiled again, knowing my journey had begun.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About lostglobetrotter


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.