Existing Member?

Scavenging for Survival

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 1 August 2010 | Views [235] | Scholarship Entry

            I took a World Documentary course before traveling to the Philippines. I learned the concept of “untold stories” about people from marginalized societies. Scavengers are deemed inferior, illiterate, and lazy, so I wanted to share their stories and change perspectives.

            I visited the City Hall and talked to the Disposal Facilities Administrator. He sent two staff members to escort me to the main landfill. Due to political conflicts surrounding landfill management and earnings, guards wouldn’t let outsiders in. Fortunately, we found Darwin’s landfill. Another challenge was filming, interviewing, and following subjects at once. Many shots were shaky, because I couldn’t take my tripod everywhere. The only other plan I had was visiting a scavenger’s community. I tried to film open-mindedly and let Darwin guide the story.

            As a documentary maker, I want my films to serve as a bridge of communication. I want viewers to gain different viewpoints. In my process, I’ve learned that scavengers are strong-willed and able to complete extraordinary tasks. They aren’t lazy. I also want people in the documentaries to have a sense of self-worth. My favorite part was when Armando’s mom said “thank you for visiting us and looking at how we live our lives.” 

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About lorie_acio


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.