Existing Member?

Feeding My Gypsy Soul

September 19 - Istanbul

TURKEY | Saturday, 19 September 2009 | Views [329]

Today I arrived in Istanbul. Although I was tired from the trip, after checking into my room and showering, I couldn't wait to hit the streets of Taxim and feel the buzz of the city.

While I enjoyed being in Tanzania, it sure was good to be back in western civilization.  Wow...hot water and electricity whenever I want it! Call me spoiled! 

Taxim is on the European side of Istanbul and is very exciting with lots of fashionable shops, restaurants and discos. The food here is wonderful and I'm sure I'll gain 10 lbs while I'm here. I walked around for several hours in the afternoon, just checking out my new hood. Of course, I stopped a couple of times to have a Turkish Coffee and sample the baklava. YUMMY! Most Turks seem to prefer the Cay (tea), but I can't stop drinking the coffee.  It is very strong and reminds me of Italian espresso except it is a lot more grainy.

I found what I considered to be the Turkish version of a local diner. It was family owned and had been in the same spot for over 30 years. The menu included a variety of traditional Turkish dishes, all homestyle and self-service. I had a wonderful dish of spicy eggplant stuffed with chicken and spinach. It was delicious.

Tomorrow, I plan to go to Sultahamet, which is the "Old" part of town, and see the tourist attractions including the Tokapi Palace, Blue Mosque and Sophia Mosque.

About lori_slaughter


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.